Blackberry Upside Down Cake

Reaction score
Blackberry-Upside-Down-Cake1-300x228.jpg

Ingredients:
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus extra for greasing pan
2 1/3 cups cake flour (sifted, then measured), plus extra for dusting pan
2 1/2 cups (10 ounces) fresh blackberries
1/4 cup plus 1 1/3 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
1 cup well-shaken buttermilk
Powdered sugar (for dusting)

Procedures:
Place rack in middle of oven and preheat to 350°. Lightly grease a 9″-10″-diameter springform pan with butter pan; line bottom of pan with a round of parchment paper. Butter parchment. Dust with flour; tap out excess. Arrange berries in a single layer in bottom of pan; sprinkle evenly with 1/4 cup sugar.
Sift 2 1/3 cups flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda into a medium bowl; set aside.
Using an electric mixer, beat 3/4 cup butter and remaining 1 1/3 cups sugar in a large bowl at medium-high speed, occasionally scraping down sides of bowl, until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and zest.
Reduce speed to low; beat in flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk in 2 additions, beginning and ending with flour mixture and beating just until incorporated. Pour batter over berries in pan; level top with spatula.
Bake until cake is golden brown and cake bounces back when pressed gently with fingertip, about 1 hour 25 minutes. Let cool in pan set on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then run a thin, sharp knife around the edge of the pan to loosen. Remove pan sides. Invert cake onto rack and remove pan bottom; peel off parchment.
Dust top generously with powdered sugar and let cool completely. Store leftover Blackberry Upside Down Cake in an air-tight container and place in the refrigerator.

Reaction score
hello, i've tryed your recipe but mine got a bit "raw" on the middle. Any idea of what i've done wrong?

Reaction score
Thanks for such an interesting recipe. I am getting to where I favor fruity desserts lately. If the blackberries are out of season would it be possible to substitute the frozen or would it just mess up the recipe?

Reaction score
This is a great recipe, but I wonder if blueberries could be substituted. I like blackberries, it's the seeds that I don't like. I think there is a variety of blackberry that is considered seedless, but I haven't seen any for sale around here.

Reaction score
This simply looks delicious! I'm sure you are able to substitute the blackberries for many different fruits. I would love to try it with raspberries!

Reaction score
This is the first time I have seen blackberry upside down cake. I did have a recipe for cranberry upside down cake sometime ago. It awas truly delicous but I have since lost the recipe and have never made it again.

Reaction score
I simply can't resist blackberries and will surely try out this recipe sometime soon. Thanks for sharing. However, is there any other alternative if we do not get blackberries?

Reaction score
You know, all the baking I do, I have never thought about making an upside down cake of anything other than pineapple. I'm going to try this, but with raspberries. I don't like the seeds in blackberries for a cake. I've got another idea too, caramel apple.

Reaction score
I used to pick loads of wild blueberries from the forest when I lived in Sweden. It was easy to pick loads but took ages to clean them up afterwards. I love the look of your cake so will definitely give it a go but will have to use shop bought fruit. I presume different fruits could easily be used.how about blackberries?

Ask a Question