Can you add more butter to puff pastry dough late in the folding process?

Reaction score
This is my first time making a puff pastry. Not just any but a gluten free recipe I found here: https://www.sidechef.com/recipes/1980/gluten_free_puff_pastry/

When I was measuring out the flour mix I lost count of how many cups I added (I doubled the recipe). When I cut the butter in the mixture and added water, I needed more water than the recipe asked for. I also added two more tablespoons of butter because I was worried the extra water would break everything down. I got through the first 3 folds fine, but I'm worried the pastry will be too dry when I eventually cook it. I'm thinking of adding 2-3tbsp more butter but I don't want make things worse. Is this a bad idea?

Reaction score
While not impossible, it seems like a risk for lack of adherence between the new butter and its adjacent dough layers, or a thick butter layer in the final baked product. Both cases less than desirable.

I would use what you have created, then make another batch while following the recipe strictly! :)

Ask a Question