Cauliflower mashed potatoes?

Reaction score
There are some great ideas here! Who knew the humble cauliflower could be so versatile?! Coincidentally I got a new recipe book the other day which has a recipe for Cauliflower 'cous cous' - you blitz the cauliflower in a food processor until it looks like cous cous, gently steam and stir in whatever flavours you want. Sounds great - and super healthy too! I guess it would be similar to the cauliflower rice just smaller.

Reaction score
Yes! I have tried this and its good! The trick is to make sure you cook the cauliflower well enough. You can use some of the liquid afterwards but its best with real milk and butter; all the things that make mashed potatoes good. If you are missing the 'stickiness' of the mashed potatoes then you can always add an egg and then bake it for a little bit in the oven making them crispy. My husband still preferred regular mashed potatoes but since he worried he was suffering from arthritis and night shade vegetables are supposed to be bad for that, he agreed to eat them. He said he 'didn't mind them' but I thought they tasted really good! Sort of like 'flavored' mashed potatoes. The taste was a little different but not as strong as you might think. And if one added cheese, I doubt you could tell much of a difference.

Reaction score
I have been seeing this a lot lately. I'm nervous about trying it because I'm not sure we'll like it -- we love our mashed potatoes! I think I'm just going to have to give it a try one day.

Reaction score
I think it may have a psychological component to it. I mean, they look exactly the same, so if someone is just looking for the mouth-feel, mashed cauliflower definitely fits the bill as a healthier option. I really want to try it just for novelty's sake.

On the other hand, unfortunately, potatoes are much cheaper than cauliflowers around here, but I can definitely make half-and-half just so we can enjoy the benefits of yummy cauliflower. It's also a good way to ease someone resistant (like my husband) into it.

Reaction score
I really like cauliflower, and I usually just have it steamed with butter and salt, but I can see where it could be mashed and used like potatoes, and the next time that i get a cauliflower, I think I will try mashing it with butter and milk like i do mashed potatoes, and see how it turns out.
I have never heard of using cauliflower like rice, and it would have to be cooked a little firmer to use that way, I think, rather than as soft as you would to make the mashed version.

Reaction score
Another idea: We tried the cauliflower rice craze last night and it was delicious! Just grate it up, cook it up and use whatever you would use on rice (we made chinese style rice with it). Soooooo good, I actually prefer it to rice now, which is so awesome because I was looking for a replacement.. hadn't had rice in ages.
I would have never thought of this. My daughter's doctor has her on a low carb diet. I'm wondering if the cauliflower could be used instead. I guess I'll have to research it and see what the carb content is, in spite of it being a vegetable. Thanks for the idea!

Reaction score
I really like the half and half idea! I hadn't really thought about that! Seems it will be a bit more healthy but not quite as expensive, plus you might not notice the difference nearly as much.

Reaction score
I tried it one time but I did something wrong. It came out a little watery. I have to try it again soon. I have been going for a diet change recently. Cauliflower doesn't have too much of a taste, so with the right seasonings I can see how it would be delicious!

Reaction score
I enjoy eating cauliflower but I have never tried actually tried to make this cauliflower mashed potato. Cauliflower seems like a foodie trend these days though, so I am planning to try this out one of these days! It's healthy as well so I hope it is as filling as mashed potato!

Reaction score
I tried this mash potato substitution twice. I didn't like it both times. I know that some people rave about it, but I just found it disgusting. I not really a big fan of cauliflower either so that could be an issue.

Reaction score
I have never tried it but I will say judging from the pictures, it looks delicious. I know it's good when your dieting and I've been wanting to try it but keep forgetting all about it.

Reaction score
They are good; not like the real thing, but close enough if you're going low-carb. You will want to puree the cauliflower and not just process/blend it. This is my favorite recipe. Puree the following ingredients, then heat in a pot on the stove.
  • 1 head of cauliflower (break into small pieces first)
  • 3 Tbsp heavy cream
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 3 ounces sharp cheese
  • salt, pepper, garlic, and parsley to taste

Modified from http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/201...s-cheesy-cauliflower.html#UTKkDSLXUTG0XZlu.99

Reaction score
My mother also mentioned this to me and I have been wanting to try it, but just haven't gotten around to it. It sounds like it would be a bit weird, but it might be good. I really can't knock it until I try it.

Reaction score
I have never mashed cauliflower before. What I would like to understand is why everyone is turning this vegetable in to something else. I have seen recipes for cauliflower as potatos and pizza crust and even bread. Why do so many people feel the need to give the vegetable an identiity crisis?

Reaction score
I have never tried this before, but it sounds like a healthy alternative to loading the mashed potatoes with butter. I have heard that this is the way the Obamas eat their potatoes.

Reaction score
My grandson loves cauliflower mashed potatoes. But then, he does not reaize it is not all potato, I use about half cauliflower and half potatoes. I had never heard of the "cauliflower rice" idea and will have to try it. I am diabetic so I have to keep a close watch on my carbs. I am slowly increasing the amount of cauliflower in my "mashed potatoes" and will eventually have it all cauliflower. I have done this using both fresh and frozen cauliflower.

Reaction score

It's the first time that i'm actually hearing about cauliflower mashed potatoes and after doing some research on this recipe i found some interesting one that i'll be sure to try out...i can't wait to get to the farmers market on saturday to get myself some cauliflower.

Ingredients

• 1 medium head cauliflower
  • 1 tablespoon cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1/8 teaspoon straight chicken base or bullion (may substitute 1/2 teaspoon salt)
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh or dry chives, for garnish
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
Directions
Set a stockpot of water to boil over high heat.

Clean and cut cauliflower into small pieces. Cook in boiling water for about 6 minutes, or until well done. Drain well; do not let cool and pat cooked cauliflower very dry between several layers of paper towels.

In a bowl with an immersion blender, or in a food processor, puree the hot cauliflower with the cream cheese, Parmesan, garlic, chicken base, and pepper until almost smooth.

Garnish with chives, and serve hot with pats of butter.

Hint: Try roasting the garlic and adding a little fresh

rosemary for a whole new taste.

Chef: George Stella

Reaction score
YUMMMM,,, thanks for sharing this yummy sounding recipe! I am going to try it out this next week. I am sure it will be a huge hit served along side meatloaf with another vegie. I cannot wait!

Reaction score
Yes it works well! My husband has to watch potassium so potatoes aren't a very good option for our house...I think the cauliflower works best out of the non-potato "mash" options I've heard. There are plenty of recipes for it, too.

Reaction score
I have had this before and I have to say I would rather eat them separate. It doesn't taste that good, and the only reason I ate it was because it was made by my mother and law and I didn't want to hurt her feelings lol.

Ask a Question