Cauliflower mashed potatoes?

Reaction score
I have had this before and I have to say I would rather eat them separate. It doesn't taste that good, and the only reason I ate it was because it was made by my mother and law and I didn't want to hurt her feelings lol.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I rather give up mashed potatoes altogether. I also tried to use turnips to make fake mashed potatoes. That was even worse.

Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I rather give up mashed potatoes altogether. I also tried to use turnips to make fake mashed potatoes. That was even worse.

Well turnips sounds like a disaster! lol, I think a lot of it is getting the right consistency...you can mock up the taste much easier if the consistency is right.

Reaction score
Has anyone ever done this? Does it work? Do they taste right?
I want to try it. I love cauliflower, and I love mashed potatoes... so this would be great for us.
Also, do you have a recipe?
I actually love it !! I am a huge fan of mashed potatoes so this is in no way is going to taste like it but it is a good alternative. You have to like cauliflower. :) It is rather tasty though. I ordered it a few weeks back at a restaurant because I was curious how it tasted and I would order it again. It's a nice change from the potato as a side dish. I would suggest try it once and see what you think!!

The above posted recipe is great... that's the one I use as well!
Hope this helps,
Danyel :)

Reaction score
I have never mashed cauliflower before. What I would like to understand is why everyone is turning this vegetable in to something else. I have seen recipes for cauliflower as potatos and pizza crust and even bread. Why do so many people feel the need to give the vegetable an identiity crisis?

I guess they do that because it's white and bland and no one likes it very much. I see beets turned into all kinds of things too because most people don't like beets.
I think cooks find it challenging to disguise a gross vegetable and make it palatable.

Reaction score
I guess they do that because it's white and bland and no one likes it very much. I see beets turned into all kinds of things too because most people don't like beets.
I think cooks find it challenging to disguise a gross vegetable and make it palatable.

I think it's more frequently the people who are trying to cut calories actually. It's not so much that they don't like cauliflower as it is that mashed potatoes, pizza, etc, aren't exactly healthy. Cauliflower can sometimes act in place of gluten-heavy foods, too.

Ask a Question