Cheese Straws?

Reaction score
I had never heard of them until a week or so ago. Seems they are popular in the UK and Southern USA. They sounded intriguing so I sorted through a load recipes online and picked one. Since I have no idea what they should taste like, or be like I found the ones I made tasted more floury than cheesy. Is that how they are supposed to be? I tried it again with less flour but just ended up with greasy flat brown blob. Anyone have a good recipe for them, that I can use in the USA? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
I had never heard of them until a week or so ago. Seems they are popular in the UK and Southern USA. They sounded intriguing so I sorted through a load recipes online and picked one. Since I have no idea what they should taste like, or be like I found the ones I made tasted more floury than cheesy. Is that how they are supposed to be? I tried it again with less flour but just ended up with greasy flat brown blob. Anyone have a good recipe for them, that I can use in the USA? Thanks in advance.

I make them by brushing eggwash on a sheet of puff dough, then sprinkle with grated gruyere, cut into strips as long or short or long as you want, 1/2 inch wide is ok, twist and place on paper lined tray, leave a bit of room for expansion. Don't use cheap mozzarela , it will burn black and tastes like chewing gum anyway. Roll dough 1/8 thick or buy frozen.
They're called allumettes in France...usually not twisted.

You can also sprinkle with sugar and sliced almonds and twist them, those are called sacristan.
A sacristan is the twisted brass staff held by the leader in bagpipe processions.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you. I just saw this, usually I get an email that said I have a response. The recipes I have seen in the USA are using cheddar cheese. Can you share your recipe to we Americans, you mention Gruyere and mozzarella. Could you share your recipe with us/me? Thanks for your response!!

Reaction score
Can you make puff dough?
if not just buy it already made, brush with eggwash and sprinkle with gruyer,
there is no recipe, its just assemble and bake.

Ask a Question