Cheesecake -- without Philly Cheese?

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Just wondering if any of you knew about recipes for cheesecakes that did not involve Philadelphia Cream Cheese. Where I live, it does exist -- but in those small and expensive little plastic contenants, instead of in wrapped bricks, and this is a bit sad for me since I've been craving some nice cheesecake.

Will any cream cheese do? I only see cream cheese in small tubs, never in convenient bricks, but at least the other brands are a bit cheaper. Or are there any other cheese/dairy products I can use to make a cheesecake?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Here's something I've been looking into for dairy alternatives and ways around people's allergies, taken from a North Star Article:

"
This is a rather simple and easy recipe to follow including various spices and making your own whipped cream. These are textured more as a mousse than a cheesecake, which was unexpected but still enjoyable, and complemented the flavor rather well. The cookie crumb base was sweet and didn’t overpower the taste of the cake itself, and the caramel drizzle that they advise you add to the top gave the cake an added sweetness to combat the taste of the pumpkin puree and unsweetened cream, that would have been slightly overwhelming without it.

Based on the amount of whipped cream and the aromatic pumpkin puree, the recipe as a whole was extremely well balanced, calling for just enough cookie to give it that traditional cheesecake feel, while taking an untraditional turn and making it bakeless. Having a great appreciation for balance, I give the recipe five out of five stars."

In relation to straight alternatives, I found this for ya

http://twoboysonegirlandacrazymom.c...erman-cheesecake-without-cream-cheese-recipe/

I'm not sure if those are any help, but it's something to mull over anyways.

Reaction score
The pumpkin one sounds... interesting. For lack of a better word hahaha. I'm sure I could fidle with it (I don't like caramel, so that would be out for me, but fidling, fiddling)

and since I live in Germany -- yup, pretty sure I had the cake with quark a few times. Once done by a russian woman, and it was more plain looking than the article you linked me to, so I was a bit underwhelmed. But quark is actually not expensive here, so I guess that shall be the thing I try to figure out. Thanks a lot!

Reaction score
Glad to help, if it did. I'm not knowledgeable since I mainly cook with the cream cheese in blocks. I live in Pennsylvania, in the USA, in the same State as Philadelphia, which is the manufacturer. Couple of good dairy farms around here ship to them as well. I like the authentic stuff that's cheap, can buy full tubs of it inexpensive around here, guess that's why we have so much cheesecake everywhere, even in grocery stores frozen. Hah. Alternatives for me because I was starting to get bored of the same old stuff so I wanted to liven it up.

Reaction score
Mmmm I wish I could get my hand on some big tub of inexpensive fresh cream cheese! I'd make so many orea cheesecakes hahaha XD

(though better not because I'm still pigging out on my last batch of cakes and cupcakes.)

Though considering how many different ways you can arrange cheesecake I'm surprised it's even possible to get bored of it!

Reaction score
Haha XD

Hey, if we can't pig out whats the point to keep cooking. If we didn't want it or need it, it wouldn't taste good and you wouldn't want it. But it's awesome, and sweet, so we all want them :rolleyes:

Reaction score
I everyone!
I have never tried to make heesecake. So I'am just wondering you know some of the easy recipes for the beginners ???

Reaction score
I honestly prefer my cheesecake to have pilly, but Ive tried with other cheeses! Cream cheese in general works great, but you can also use panela cheese and also cottage and curd cheese. You can use almost any kind of cheese that has a neutral flavor.

Ask a Question