Cheeseless Cheesecake?

Reaction score
Is there a such thing as a cheeseless or vegan cheesecake? I like for desserts to be simple but in reality times have changed. People are looking for gluten free, sugarless, butterless, meatless, and so on. So far, I haven't found a real vegan cheesecake. Of all the recipes I found, some have some sort of animal byproduct in them. Which, to me, means they're not really vegan.

Reaction score
There are true vegan style recipes for pretty much anything nowadays.

Although, if it's vegan, then it really isn't cheesecake.

From what I understand, there are "cream cheeses" made from soy based products, such as tofu.
You might check that out. I've seen tofu yogurt, tofu cottage cheese, and tofu "meat".....so there might be such a thing as tofu "cream cheese" you can use to make a sort of cheesecake kind of dessert.

Reaction score
Chester is right, there are tofu based cream cheeses and they make okay vegan cheesecakes, but I have found they make the overall end product a little... Rubbery. They are also very pricey.

Reaction score
I quite like vegan cheesecakes made from nuts - cashews work well. I can attest that Minimalist Baker recipes are usually very good, although I haven't tried the one that @kramersl linked

Ask a Question