Conga Bars

Reaction score
Hey, everyone

I had some eggs that were about to expire so I decided to make conga bars following a recipe from the internet that I slightly modified. The cake/brownie part turned out just fine. The chocolate chips, however, became hard and crunchy. I don't know how to explain it. They range from rock hard to, crispy and crunchy, almost dirt like. Like they were caramelized. I had the same issue a couple of months ago when I tried to make brownies with Reese's stuffed in them. The chips weren't on the bottom of the pan, the batter was thick enough to prevent that. And I didn't use low quality chips- they were Ghiradelli milk chocolate chips I don't get it. I thought the water was a little strange. I've never seen a conga bar recipe that called for it. Anyway, here is what I used:

2 1/4 cups AP flour
2 cups brown sugar
5.7 ounces chocolate chips
1tspn baking soda
1tspn baking powder
1tspn salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3? tspn imitation vanilla extract. (Not really sure. I had a bit of an accident
3 tbspn water

Does anybody have any idea what could have caused this and how I can fix it? The crunchy chips ruined the bars. I was going to do two batches because I had enough for two. But unless somebody has some ideas I'm just going to make chocolate pudding or ice cream with the chips. Not really in the mood. But it's better than throwing the stuff away.

The modifications I made: I added an extra 1/4 cup of flour and cut back the oil form 2/3 of a cup to 1/2 a cup and I used 3 tablespoons of water instead of 2.

Anybody have any ideas as to what went wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum splatt :)

Were the chocolate chips ok before they were baked?

Reaction score
Ok, I have some questions for you .......

1. How long are these baked?
2. What temperature are these baked?
3. What kind of pan is being used?
4. What kind of oil/brand are you using?

I do find this strange as you say you are using Ghirardelli chocolate, which aren't made with enough artificial ingredients to cause something like this to happen.

Ask a Question