Do you prefer making drop cookies or cookie bars?

Reaction score
I have to admit that sometimes, I just don't feel like making individual cookies by dropping them by the spoonful onto the cookie sheet. Sometimes, I just pour the batter into a pan and bake, later to cut into cookie bars. It takes a bit longer to bake that way, but you do save prep time. This usually occurs when I'm extremely busy or have a lot of other cooking or baking to do.

Do you do this on occasion, or do you always take the time to make separate cookies (I do actually like the cookies better than the bars, but bars are okay too).

Reaction score
I've only ever really made drop cookies - I never even thought about saving time by making cookie bars, that's genius! One of the main reasons I don't make cookies more often is because of the fact they can be a bit labor intensive and it's not as easy as just mixing cake ingredients together and throwing them all in a cake pan - so this might make me more inclined to make cookie bars instead of drop cookies!

Reaction score
I'm lazy AND I love my gadgets.....

I use a small ice cream scoop to scoop the cookie dough, and then I put the cookie dough onto my molded cookie pan.

41bVStMBA4L._SY355_.jpg

image62.jpg

Reaction score
That is a most excellent idea @ChesterV :) Does it still work with 'stiffer' doughs?

Oh yeah!

For dough like sugar cookie dough, shortbread, or gingerbread, you know they aren't going to expand much, so I use a scoop thats a little larger for those.

I actually have 3 sizes of scoops. 2 tablespoon, 4 tablespoon, and 6-8 tablespoon (actually they measure them by millimeters, but they aren't marked with their sizes, and I don't remember the actual sizes).

For liquid batter cookies, I usually use the smallest one. The cookies turn out thin and crispy (my fav). For regular batter or cake batter cookies, I use the medium one. For the stiff dough's that don't spread out much, I use the large one.

Of course you use the one best suited for the size of cookie you want. If you use the small scoop for stiff doughs, you will probably end up with small "puff" cookies or thin hard ones.....depending on how much your dough rises (or not).

Molded cookie sheets can also be used for mini cakes, moon pies, and baking buns or rolls.
If you have a large freezer, the molded cookie sheet is also great for making "coin" ice cubes.
They will be larger than a coin of course, but they are flat and round. Fun to put in punch bowls or something that will need fast melting ice in it.

Ask a Question