Cookie Problems

Reaction score
Every time I try to make cookies, no matter what kind they never turn out right... either the dough is not doughy, or the cookies (especially chocolate chip) turn out white and dry. Please Help!!!

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Stephanie! :)

Sorry to hear you've not had any luck with baking cookies. Do you have an example of one of the recipes that you have used that didn't work?

Reaction score
Hmm that's strange. Add more butter that's one of the main ingredients that prevents the dough from being dry.
As for the color being white......when you place the pan in the oven do you have it sit in the middle of the oven and not all the way at the bottom so that it helps get that goldish color.

Reaction score
Don't worry dear.While baking cookies you should use equal quantity of ingredients because baking demands accuracy and care.There are number of things you need to keep in mind like use proper shape utensils,use correct pan size and top quality ingredients.Test baking soda before use it should bubble when added to vinegar.and one more thing mix baking powder into the flour before adding wet ingredients. So keep in mind these things and enjoy baking.

Thanks

Reaction score
Hi Stephanie! Welcome to the forum, as Becky said we need more info! Cookiesfromhome has offered you some really good advice. I'd listen to what she said. Additionally I'd like to add I had the same problem with cookies when I had just started. Just be careful with measurements, specially if you need to convert them! I messed up so badly many times because I either used too much butter or too little.

Reaction score
The best way to learn, if you're baking from scratch, is by trial and error. Constantly monitoring the cookies as they're baking and testing them. It could be one of many problems. Just don't deviate to far from the recommended recipe of what you're trying to bake.

Reaction score
My biggest problem when I first tried to bake cookies was not preheating the oven. I know the directions said I should, but I just didn't think it was that big of a deal. So, I'd pop them in, they wouldn't be done in the appropriate time, and I'd have to keep putting them back in for a few more minutes. They'd end up dried out. So, my suggestion is to maybe let the oven preheat a bit longer before baking. Good luck.

Reaction score
Yes, always bake cookies in a preheated HOT oven!

Most cookies will bake in about 5-7 minutes at 325 degrees. But it also will depend on what altitude you are at, if you have gas or electric oven, if you live in a wet or dry climate....

I would suggest finding either a good butter cookie recipe or a sugar cookie recipe, and use those as bases for your other cookies.

Once you learn how to work with the butter cookie recipe/sugar cookie recipe where they turn out the way you want them, then you can start doing things like adding chocolate chips, or candy pieces.

One trick to baking, is find a base recipe that you can work off of. Once you have mastered the basic recipe, then you can start playing around with it to make different things. This works with cookies, cakes, pastries, candies, etc...

Ask a Question