Cookie Subsitution with brown butter

Reaction score
I have a cookie recipe that I adore, however, I am getting bored of making it. The recipe calls for melted butter. I would like to try and use brown butter. Will this work okay? / I have never made browned butter before. Any tricks?

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to Baking Forums! :)

Well now you have me intrigued - what is the recipe? If it's really good you should share it with us! :D

Brown butter is pretty easy to make, but you have to watch it carefully. Stay with the pan, and once the colour has turned brown and it smells kind of nutty then take it off the heat and pour it into a different container to prevent further browning. If there is any sediment, try not to pour it out of the pan (you could also pour it through a fine mesh sieve).

Let us know how you get on! :)

Reaction score
Thanks, Becky, I"m hearing more and more lately about brown butter and recipes using it. I haven't delved into the issue, but now I might feel more comfortable doing so, after reading your explanation. I probably wouldn't have thought of moving it to another container, nor of using a sieve to remove any sediment. @Cookiesandwine1 I hope you share your recipe with us, we like to try new ones here.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm fairly new to this forum but I thought I might give my opinion on brown butter. I use brown butter once in a while to make brown butter icing which tastes delicious! When browning butter you have to watch it carefully so it doesn't turn black and get bitter. I've noticed that some recipes suggest not swirling the butter while its on the oven but I think swirling evens out the cooking process of the butter.
Ps. I've read a lot about brown butter ice cream and I can't wait to make it one day

Ask a Question