Cookies have a strange aftertaste

Reaction score
I made Peppermint Chocolate Pinwheels yesterday and they also have a strange aftertaste. I would describe as almost plasticky. I made these with a friend at her house and I am pretty sure the flour was pretty old since she had a bunch of it she bought at Costco and it was stored in a big plastic storage container - not a food container. And she had a bay leaf in it to repel weevils. The recipe included Peppermint extract and chopped Andes candy and the peppermint flavor seems to maybe exacerbate the after taste. I did not notice anything strange about the flour while I was mixing it, but everything else was fresh. I quadrupled the recipe so we would each have 2 batches, 12 dozen, for a cookie swap, and now I am bummed because they don't taste very good after all that work and money. After reading this, I am thinking the flour is likely the culprit.

It could also be that the two different mint tastes did not work well together. Andes candy is more of a plain mint, whereas Peppermint is different. I would think mixing the two flavors would make it taste funky.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @AOK! :)

Sorry to hear about the cookies, I would agree that the flour is the likely culprit. I've never heard of keeping a bayleaf in flour before, they can add quite a strong flavour to food so no wonder there was a weird taste!

AOK

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @AOK! :)

Sorry to hear about the cookies, I would agree that the flour is the likely culprit. I've never heard of keeping a bayleaf in flour before, they can add quite a strong flavour to food so no wonder there was a weird taste!

Thanks Becky. I never heard of the bayleaf thing either, but I looked it up and it is one of the suggested ways to keep weevils out of flour. I also never heard of weevils in flour and could be because one of the other suggestions is to not keep your flour around too long.

Reaction score
LOL, yeah using a Bayleaf is an old-fashioned thing.
But, if you keep your flour in an air tight plastic container, you don't have to worry about it.

I keep my bag of flour in an airtight ziplock baggie, and then I put that inside an airtight plastic container.
I've never had any problems with my flour going bad or having funky tastes....and it lasts a lot longer that way too.

Reaction score
You might have just got an old batch of flour before. Thats happened to me.

Yep, I've had that happen as well. I don't really notice much difference between brands, so I'm guessing there was another issue. I mean, flour is flour (if it's the same type). There may have even been a tiny, unnoticeable opening in the bag that caused it to become stale faster. I find it's better to put it into a sealed container instead of leaving it in the bag.

Reaction score
Sounds like you maybe left the butter out to long to reach room temperature. Or perhaps the salt in the butter. Or the vanilla omit the vanilla

Reaction score
I would say it is because of butter or cornstarch. But it is an old chat so probably you have already figured out :D

Ask a Question