Croissant dough

Reaction score
What do you mean by completely fused? Not enough holes? Also, what is it that causes this? I’m assuming from your previous posts though that lamination is a topic in and of itself and not so simple to summarise...

any idea why the outside didn’t flake?
What do you mean by completely fused? Not enough holes? Also, what is it that causes this? I’m assuming from your previous posts though that lamination is a topic in and of itself and not so simple to summarise...

any idea why the outside didn’t flake?

The outside did not flake because the layers are fused, meaning there is no separation between the layers.

Laminated dough is separated sheets of dough. It’s made by wrapping dough around a block of butter. Then by rolling it out and folding it, it create stacks of alternating layers of butter and dough: 1 layer dough; 1 layer butter.

The butter keeps the dough layers separated. As the dough bakes, the butter melts and creates steam. That creates rise and the layers of dough separate. That’s where you get the honeycomb structure in the center and the flaky layer on the outside.

When you fuse the layers, the dough layers are pressed into the butter layers, either fully or partially, during the lamination process. When baked, the layers of dough stick together. There’s no layering. That’s why the croissant in the video that you used has the tight tiny holes. And that’s why your croissant was not flaky.

So how do the layers get fused?

1. Butter too cold: if the butter is too cold it will shatter. When the butter shatters, the dough will fuse in the empty spaces between the broken butter.

2. Butter too warm: if the butter is too warm, it melts and gets worked into the dough.

3. Dough too cold: The dough is too cold, it is too hard to roll. You stretch instead of rolling it. When you stretch it you tear the layers inside. The layers fuse where the layers are torn.

4. Too much gluten: trying to roll the deal when there’s too much gluten stenches and tears the layers inside. The layers fuse where the layers are torn.

5. Pressing too hard: pressing too hard when rolling causing the layers to fuse.

6. Butter not pliable: I can’t emphasize enough how important butter pliability is. The butter needs to roll with the dough. Beating them butter In making the butter block is really important. But so is using the right better. I think I mentioned earlier in this thread help manufacturers temper be butter. That determines the pliability of the butter. I use Kerrygold because even cold it’s very pliable. So look for a pliable butter in the UK.

The purpose of refrigerating the dough in between turns is to relax The gluten and chill the butter. If after resting, Your toe is still showing signs of too much gluten development do not roll it. Put it back in the refrigerator and let it rest. When you are rolling at the first sign of too much gluten development: STOP. It doesn’t matter if you’re done with your turns or not, the moment that dough even slightly springs back on you, stop and rest it.

===========================

My computer is dead so I don’t have access to all my baking photos.

This was the first batch of croissant I ever baked. You can tell just by looking at the exterior they are all fused. They are all puffy like a pie crust. So you see, we all start with crappy croissants.

422A0DBB-8B5E-49F9-8AF2-8D60F9CD2806.jpeg

This was the third batch. You can see the individual layers. Wasn’t a perfect lamination, but I achieved layers.

Now I can do a very good laminated dough. It just takes practice. You have a lot of determination. I have no doubt you’ll be able to good laminate dough in time.

4C4894E8-A59F-419B-BFC7-15563F151839.jpeg

Attachments

• 7AF90DEC-C8C7-4BFB-8C4C-EBF3D2336B76.jpeg
    7AF90DEC-C8C7-4BFB-8C4C-EBF3D2336B76.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 170
  • C1BCF835-94AB-4AAC-B7F7-7B154E329980.jpeg
    C1BCF835-94AB-4AAC-B7F7-7B154E329980.jpeg
    24.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 9A40F9F0-95FF-4A4E-B43E-77EB2A015D63.jpeg
    9A40F9F0-95FF-4A4E-B43E-77EB2A015D63.jpeg
    20.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 58669E0B-E3D0-4654-84CE-C854D575BEA7.jpeg
    58669E0B-E3D0-4654-84CE-C854D575BEA7.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 125
Reaction score
The outside did not flake because the layers are fused, meaning there is no separation between the layers.

Laminated dough is separated sheets of dough. It’s made by wrapping dough around a block of butter. Then by rolling it out and folding it, it create stacks of alternating layers of butter and dough: 1 layer dough; 1 layer butter.

The butter keeps the dough layers separated. As the dough bakes, the butter melts and creates steam. That creates rise and the layers of dough separate. That’s where you get the honeycomb structure in the center and the flaky layer on the outside.

When you fuse the layers, the dough layers are pressed into the butter layers, either fully or partially, during the lamination process. When baked, the layers of dough stick together. There’s no layering. That’s why the croissant in the video that you used has the tight tiny holes. And that’s why your croissant was not flaky.

So how do the layers get fused?

1. Butter too cold: if the butter is too cold it will shatter. When the butter shatters, the dough will fuse in the empty spaces between the broken butter.

2. Butter too warm: if the butter is too warm, it melts and gets worked into the dough.

3. Dough too cold: The dough is too cold, it is too hard to roll. You stretch instead of rolling it. When you stretch it you tear the layers inside. The layers fuse where the layers are torn.

4. Too much gluten: trying to roll the deal when there’s too much gluten stenches and tears the layers inside. The layers fuse where the layers are torn.

5. Pressing too hard: pressing too hard when rolling causing the layers to fuse.

6. Butter not pliable: I can’t emphasize enough how important butter pliability is. The butter needs to roll with the dough. Beating them butter In making the butter block is really important. But so is using the right better. I think I mentioned earlier in this thread help manufacturers temper be butter. That determines the pliability of the butter. I use Kerrygold because even cold it’s very pliable. So look for a pliable butter in the UK.

The purpose of refrigerating the dough in between turns is to relax The gluten and chill the butter. If after resting, Your toe is still showing signs of too much gluten development do not roll it. Put it back in the refrigerator and let it rest. When you are rolling at the first sign of too much gluten development: STOP. It doesn’t matter if you’re done with your turns or not, the moment that dough even slightly springs back on you, stop and rest it.

===========================

My computer is dead so I don’t have access to all my baking photos.

This was the first batch of croissant I ever baked. You can tell just by looking at the exterior they are all fused. They are all puffy like a pie crust. So you see, we all start with crappy croissants.

View attachment 3063

This was the third batch. You can see the individual layers. Wasn’t a perfect lamination, but I achieved layers.

Now I can do a very good laminated dough. It just takes practice. You have a lot of determination. I have no doubt you’ll be able to good laminate dough in time.

View attachment 3062

Wow aww those croissants looks amazing to me so you’re wealth of knowledge is incredibly helpful because I’m starting to understand the ‘aim of the game’ more.

We do have Kerrygold butter here so I will use that. Thank you so much for all of your help and support during this home learning journey I always appreciate it when you respond to my questions!

I will give them another go in the next few days and post my results to see if there’s any improvement.

I’m looking forward to really giving it a good go now that I have more of an idea of what to avoid going forward.

I’ll keep in touch!

I plan to reread all of the above and give the recipe from that website a go.

Reaction score
Wow aww those croissants looks amazing to me so you’re wealth of knowledge is incredibly helpful because I’m starting to understand the ‘aim of the game’ more.

We do have Kerrygold butter here so I will use that. Thank you so much for all of your help and support during this home learning journey I always appreciate it when you respond to my questions!

I will give them another go in the next few days and post my results to see if there’s any improvement.

I’m looking forward to really giving it a good go now that I have more of an idea of what to avoid going forward.

I’ll keep in touch!

I plan to reread all of the above and give the recipe from that website a go.

yes just keep working at it. And if you can get the Kerrygold I would highly recommend it.

I think the real key is at the first sign of gluten development, when the dough springs back ever so slightly when you roll it, just stop and rest it. Lamination is an exercise in patience. Lamination is a mental discipline. Bakers fail at lamination because they have no patience. People want to rush the process and take shortcuts. And that just is not possible with lamination.

Lamination is a commitment.

There’s a baker name Peter Yuen who is a like the grand mater of lamination. He periodically teaches a class at the baking training center where I take classes. He was scheduled to do a two day workshop there and then COVID-19 hit. I’m hoping it gets rescheduled because I want to take his workshop.

I don’t know why all those other pictures posted with my croissant photos. I was digging back into some archived photos, Maybe I accidentally selected then when I move them out of the archive folder to my baking folder. I don’t know ‍♀️

Reaction score
yes just keep working at it. And if you can get the Kerrygold I would highly recommend it.

I think the real key is at the first sign of gluten development, when the dough springs back ever so slightly when you roll it, just stop and rest it. Lamination is an exercise in patience. Lamination is a mental discipline. Bakers fail at lamination because they have no patience. People want to rush the process and take shortcuts. And that just is not possible with lamination.

Lamination is a commitment.

There’s a baker name Peter Yuen who is a like the grand mater of lamination. He periodically teaches a class at the baking training center where I take classes. He was scheduled to do a two day workshop there and then COVID-19 hit. I’m hoping it gets rescheduled because I want to take his workshop.

I don’t know why all those other pictures posted with my croissant photos. I was digging back into some archived photos, Maybe I accidentally selected then when I move them out of the archive folder to my baking folder. I don’t know ‍♀

Yes I totally agree that patience is difficult for bakers myself included.

It’s so amazing that you get to take all of these classes with such highly skilled teachers!

I have one final question if that’s ok, is a measuring ruler necessary to achieve spot on lamination? Or can I just eye it? I don’t have the equipment that I’ve seen people use.

Many thanks!

Reaction score
Yes I totally agree that patience is difficult for bakers myself included.

It’s so amazing that you get to take all of these classes with such highly skilled teachers!

I have one final question if that’s ok, is a measuring ruler necessary to achieve spot on lamination? Or can I just eye it? I don’t have the equipment that I’ve seen people use.

Many thanks!

A ruler is really very helpful not just for measuring to ensure you don’t have a lot of dough overlap when locking in your butter, measuring out your croissants, but also for a straight edge in cutting out your dough. A stainless steel ruler from the hardware store will work fine. Just make sure it’s stainless steel and not some thing that’s a coated metal.

I live in the Napa Valley which is the wine center of the US. We’re only about an hour and a half from San Francisco. So there’s a lot of very talented chefs in the areas. When you have so many high profile chefs, restaurants and bakeries there’s just going to be more educational opportunities in food. I feel very fortunate that I can enroll in a class with a James Beard award winning pastry chef. Albeit, it’s not cheap, but I have access where many do not

Reaction score
Those are amazing opportunities and I would definitely love to take them up also if I could.

I did suspect as much regarding the ruler so I need to purchase one before going forward with anymore croissant making.

When I do eventually get round to having another crack at it I will post the pics!

Thanks

Ask a Question