first attempt at croissants

Yok

Reaction score
wasn't sure wether to post this in bread or pastry, coz croissants are kinda both lol

Anyway, these are pics of my first attempt at croissants.... the dough was laminated well, i had no leakage during the baking, and the smell was great.....they tasted pretty good when baked, however they were just slightly stodgey.

i'm unsure if it was because they were underbaked (18 mins at 200C) or if i just didn't roll them out thin enough, as it was difficult to roll out, the dough was very springy.

Any tips on how i can improve my next attempt would be greatly appreciated :)
Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_0277.JPG
    DSC_0277.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 500
  • DSC_0276.JPG
    DSC_0276.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 460
Reaction score
I'm just looking at the photo and was hoping to get some recipe of croissant. You know, croissant is alien to us and it only emerged here about a decade. It is not very popular and can only be found in classy restaurants and upscale bake shops. I am not really aiming to bake croissant but I have a notion that my husband would be challenged to bake croissant for breakfast.

Reaction score
The important thing is to ensure the oven is well preheated. Did you put them on the middle shelf? Usually I put them on the top shelf and bake them for 15 minutes. They cook pretty fast in the last few minutes and need heat to make them flaky.

If they were stodgy then they were under baked, or the oven wasn't hot enough.

Yok

Reaction score
i always make sure my oven is preheated, however i did put them in the middle....since my oven is fan assisted, i didn't think that would matter....i'll try the top shelf next time :)

Reaction score
Wow, they look delicious! Excellent job considering it's your first attempt - you should be really proud!

I think it might be the thickness of the dough - do you have a link to the recipe you followed? It's best to leave the dough in the fridge overnight before you make the croissants, so you might find that it is easier to roll out once it has had this rest period.

Yok

Reaction score
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/croissants

thats the recipe i used, but i only used a teaspoon of yeast as i do with my breads. I did leave the dough overnight, infact i prepared the night before, and it was the following afternoon by the time i shaped my croissants...thank you for your kind words :)

Reaction score
Ah ok, looks like a good recipe! I think you just need to be firm and persistent with rolling it out - maybe try using one of those rolling pins with bands on the edges so you know how thin it is.

Reaction score
uuuh what is stodgy ? :)

I made em once and they came out great,I made a thread about em,it is on here somewhere lol If I remember right,it had me to set it in the fridge 3 days,I worked it each day and to be sure and keep the dough cold for all the rolling ,yours do look pretty great

Reaction score
I'm just looking at the photo and was hoping to get some recipe of croissant. You know, croissant is alien to us and it only emerged here about a decade. It is not very popular and can only be found in classy restaurants and upscale bake shops. I am not really aiming to bake croissant but I have a notion that my husband would be challenged to bake croissant for breakfast.

I can't recommend this site enough. I had excellent results using there recipe
https://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/classic-french-croissant-recipe/

Ask a Question