Dark rye bread with roasted barley malt

Reaction score
I experimented with roasted barley malt flour and diastatic malt flour in this loaf of rye bread, and it was really interesting. Here's the recipe (which is based on this one for Saaristolaisleipä):

330ml lager, heated to around 43 deg C
90g treacle
12.5g dry active yeast
2 tsp salt
300g strong white bread flour
60g dark rye flour
55g roasted barley malt flour
2 tbsp sunflower seeds
30g oats
1 tbsp milled flaxseed
1 tsp diastatic malt powder
  1. Dissolve the treacle in the warm beer, and add the yeast
  2. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl, and add the beer / treacle / yeast mix, combine well (it should be pretty wet) but don't knead
  3. Cover and leave to prove until doubled in size
  4. Transfer to greased 3lb loaf tin, cover and leave to prove until doubled in size
  5. Pre-heat oven to 160 deg C and bake for 1 hour 30 mins
Here are some photos...

The dry ingredients in the bowl - you can see how dark the roasted barley malt is! It looked like cocoa powder!
rye bread 1.jpg

I didn't take any photos of the first prove, this is just before the second:
rye bread 2.jpg

After second prove:
rye bread 3.jpg

The baked loaf! It was very dark on top, I was worried it had burnt, but thankfully it was just the colour from the barley malt:
rye bread 4.jpg

Breakfast! :)
rye bread 5.jpg

The bread is very tasty and has a slight bitterness to it that I think is coming from the roasted barley malt. I might add slightly less next time to see whether it's better. Overall I'm really pleased with it though, it has a lovely texture and is surprisingly moist. Goes very nicely with savoury things, but I also think it would work well with something sweet like Nutella! We've already eaten more than half... :eek::oops::D

Reaction score
I experimented with roasted barley malt flour and diastatic malt flour in this loaf of rye bread, and it was really interesting. Here's the recipe (which is based on this one for Saaristolaisleipä):

330ml lager, heated to around 43 deg C
90g treacle
12.5g dry active yeast
2 tsp salt
300g strong white bread flour
60g dark rye flour
55g roasted barley malt flour
2 tbsp sunflower seeds
30g oats
1 tbsp milled flaxseed
1 tsp diastatic malt powder
  1. Dissolve the treacle in the warm beer, and add the yeast
  2. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl, and add the beer / treacle / yeast mix, combine well (it should be pretty wet) but don't knead
  3. Cover and leave to prove until doubled in size
  4. Transfer to greased 3lb loaf tin, cover and leave to prove until doubled in size
  5. Pre-heat oven to 160 deg C and bake for 1 hour 30 mins
Here are some photos...

The dry ingredients in the bowl - you can see how dark the roasted barley malt is! It looked like cocoa powder!
View attachment 1700

I didn't take any photos of the first prove, this is just before the second:
View attachment 1701

After second prove:
View attachment 1702

The baked loaf! It was very dark on top, I was worried it had burnt, but thankfully it was just the colour from the barley malt:
View attachment 1703

Breakfast! :)
View attachment 1704

The bread is very tasty and has a slight bitterness to it that I think is coming from the roasted barley malt. I might add slightly less next time to see whether it's better. Overall I'm really pleased with it though, it has a lovely texture and is surprisingly moist. Goes very nicely with savoury things, but I also think it would work well with something sweet like Nutella! We've already eaten more than half... :eek::oops::D

Oh what a beautiful loaf! Interesting about the slight bitter taste. I would have though it would give it a nutty flavor. I’m glad to hear though that the bread is still quite tasty. It really looks good. That color is just beautiful. It reminds me of good German bread my Viennese friend used to serve at gatherings. Yummy.

Reaction score
Thanks! I've found that I can buy crushed rye malt here in the UK from home brewing sites / shops, so I'm going to get some and give it a try. I'd maybe use half the roasted barley malt, and replace the other half with the crushed rye malt. Should be interesting!

I'm also keen to try making some 100% rye bread, been looking into some good recipes. It seems that sourdough may be the way to go for a lighter loaf, yeasted rye bread can be quite heavy apparently. I might try the latter and see what I think, then try for a sourdough version.

Reaction score
Thanks! I've found that I can buy crushed rye malt here in the UK from home brewing sites / shops, so I'm going to get some and give it a try. I'd maybe use half the roasted barley malt, and replace the other half with the crushed rye malt. Should be interesting!

I'm also keen to try making some 100% rye bread, been looking into some good recipes. It seems that sourdough may be the way to go for a lighter loaf, yeasted rye bread can be quite heavy apparently. I might try the latter and see what I think, then try for a sourdough version.

Got to love the breweries! I was looking for Belgian cassonade sugar to make the craqulein tops for my pate a choux and none of the stores carried it. Turns out beer breweries use cassonade sugar in beer making. So it was just a matter of finding a beer making supply store that carried the fine cassonade sugar.

Reaction score
Huh, how weird! They certainly seem to be a useful resource :)

I'm making some pure rye bread today, currently the dough is proving (which will probably take a while) but I'll report back tomorrow...

Reaction score
I'm making some pure rye bread today, currently the dough is proving (which will probably take a while) but I'll report back tomorrow...

Hmmm it wasn't great but wasn't a total failure either... Certainly needs some work! But I quite enjoy a challenge :)

Reaction score
Hmmm it wasn't great but wasn't a total failure either... Certainly needs some work! But I quite enjoy a challenge :)

Baker after my own heart! The worse something comes out the more determined I get to making it good.

Ask a Question