Diabetic Cakes ... Suggestions??

Reaction score
My Dad is a diabetic and he loves his sweets, but after his last trip to the doctor he was again told that he can no longer eat sweets, unless it is for a diabetic. Does anyone know any candy, cakes, etc that taste like the real thing?
I am just looking for something to curb his sweet-tooth.

Reaction score
Good grief, that site is amazing! I'm not a diabetic, but I feel the need to be proactive on the potential issue so I'll definitely be giving some of those recipes a try. Everything looks crazy delicious, so I don't know where to start. Thanks for the tip!

Reaction score
I'm glad I led you to an inspiring site! I love her blog.
I made her Lemon Cheesecake Bars last week and trimmed them down even further by eliminating the heavy cream, using half lowfat cream cheese and half Greek yogurt. I added some unsweetened coconut, 'cuz I love it. Yum yum yum.

Reaction score
I have one suggestion for you. Stay away from Aspartame when baking. This stuff is just nasty and breaks down into dangerous chemicals when its heated. Use Stevia or Splenda instead.

Reaction score
Your dad can eat cakes with sugar substitutes. The trick is to exchange the right amount of the sugar substitute for the real thing.

I found an article on About.com that lists specifically how to do this based on the brand. (Click here.) It's real helpful.

Since I also struggle in this area, I would recommend your dad see a nutritionist. I have gone to one twice. Having a face to face discussion about your eating habits and what to do about them is helpful. My nutritionist gave me recipes for smoothies, which curb a sweet tooth.

Also, I finally got into exercising and lost weight. This alone was a life saver.

Reaction score
After several attempts at sugar free cakes, I gave up and resort to the Pillsbury sugar free chocolate and yellow cake mix, their brownie mix, and their sugar free white and chocolate frostings. I did have great luck substituting Spenda for sugar in sweet quick breads such as banana bread. And cookies using a regular recipe just substituting Splenda worked out well. Also using Splenda in pies.

Reaction score
This is very timely information. As much as I want to bake more, I want it to be as healthy as possible. The site looks amazing and exciting. If I can only find the time to make some of these things sooner rather than later. I had big plans for these days off but it's not working out. I need to make something that I am proud off and FROM SCRATCH.

Reaction score
if you are baking for a diabetic then the sue way to go is using a natural extract of Stevia. If you are not lucky enough to have Stevia in hand, then getting some from the store would be very helpful.

Reaction score
After several attempts at sugar free cakes, I gave up and resort to the Pillsbury sugar free chocolate and yellow cake mix, their brownie mix, and their sugar free white and chocolate frostings. I did have great luck substituting Spenda for sugar in sweet quick breads such as banana bread. And cookies using a regular recipe just substituting Splenda worked out well. Also using Splenda in pies.

I've been tempted to go this route, but I do prefer baking my own. I'm determined to get it right one of these days. I do have to say that the Pillsbury sugar free stuff is pretty good. I didn't notice the funky after taste I've found with other ones.

Ask a Question