Do You Bake Food Gifts For The Holidays?

Reaction score
I used to bake tins and tins of cookies back in my prime, and would take or ship them to all of my loved ones. The number of loved ones has dwindled over the years, and so has my holiday baking. I still tend to make several batches of cookies and fudge for the holidays, and often share with friends and neighbors.

What about y'all? Does anyone bake Christmas or other holiday treats and share with others? If so, what will you be making? I'm thinking probably macaroons, penuche and chocolate fudge, and I always make pizzelles.

Reaction score
Wow! That is really nice of you! I used to make a few things - like homemade hot fudge one year. My husband and I were just starting out and didn't have kids yet - LOL! My mother-in-law makes us plates of cookies every year! But she got married this year so not sure if she will still bake. It would probably be ok if she didn't - I eat way too many of her cookies!! Haha :)

Reaction score
I am not into the holidays but most times I bake I share with friends or family even the slightest bit, not to mention I am usually excited if the results are great. Diane, you can ship me some goodies and it doesn't matter the time of year. The shipping cost I assure you might be more than what it cost to make the cake. It's a good thing you do Diane.

Reaction score
I am the last of the bakers in my family so yes, I do still make dozens and dozens of different kinds of cookies and distribute them amongst my family and friends. I have cut the quantity of recipes to the bare minimum though as the prep, baking, cooling and storage of the cookies prior to plating and giving can wear me out now. I try to make a favorite for of each my family members and then go for color and assortment.

Reaction score
Every year when the holiday season is already coming I am already preparing the ingredients for my brownies with assorted toppings like cashew nuts, small white marshmallows, M&M colored chocolates and candy sprinkles of assorted colors which I am baking for my gift giving to my family, relatives and friends for Christmas Day.

Reaction score
I am the last of the bakers in my family so yes, I do still make dozens and dozens of different kinds of cookies and distribute them amongst my family and friends. I have cut the quantity of recipes to the bare minimum though as the prep, baking, cooling and storage of the cookies prior to plating and giving can wear me out now. I try to make a favorite for of each my family members and then go for color and assortment.

I like to make a variety, then mix them before boxing them. I've had the same thing, less energy and cost of ingredients have also risen, so I've cut back. Cooking and baking in this kitchen are more of a chore than they used to be, but I still enjoy blasting the Christmas tunes while I go about making the goodies I'll be giving away, it makes it very festive :).

Reaction score
I used to bake pumpkin bread around this time for family members. During Christmas time I don't bake for gifts, but for parties I usually make these coconut tarts.

Reaction score
I really want to do more of this, actually! Some of my friends were suggesting we do a cookie exchange, where we each bake a different type of cookie and share them with one another! I thought it sounded like a fun idea!

Reaction score
I really want to do more of this, actually! Some of my friends were suggesting we do a cookie exchange, where we each bake a different type of cookie and share them with one another! I thought it sounded like a fun idea!

It is actually a lot of fun, and you end up with a really nice selection of goodies (just make sure everyone plans to make something different). It doesn't just have to be cookies either. I've done these where people also made breads, cakes, candies, and candy dipped and decorated pretzels and stuff as well.

Pop them into pretty packaging and they make great gifts. You can even make cute packages with paper plates (then wrap in cellophane or plastic bag). https://www.pinterest.com/explore/paper-plate-box/

Reaction score
Oh yeah. I don't make much money, so instead of wasting money on trying to find stuff people usually don't want in the first place, I bake. I mean everybody likes to eat, right???

Last year I made one pumpkin bread loaf and one cranberry/apricot/walnut bread loaf for all of my friends for a gift.

This year I am making amaretto cookies with orange icing.

Reaction score
It is actually a lot of fun, and you end up with a really nice selection of goodies (just make sure everyone plans to make something different). It doesn't just have to be cookies either. I've done these where people also made breads, cakes, candies, and candy dipped and decorated pretzels and stuff as well.

Pop them into pretty packaging and they make great gifts. You can even make cute packages with paper plates (then wrap in cellophane or plastic bag). https://www.pinterest.com/explore/paper-plate-box/

That's a good idea to mix it up a bit and bring different stuff. A lot of my friends say they're not huge cookie bakers, but they are brilliant at making a host of other baked goods. It might just leave some of the people I know feeling a bit more comfortable about participating if they weren't limited to just cookie baking!

Reaction score
That's a good idea to mix it up a bit and bring different stuff. A lot of my friends say they're not huge cookie bakers, but they are brilliant at making a host of other baked goods. It might just leave some of the people I know feeling a bit more comfortable about participating if they weren't limited to just cookie baking!

Sure enough. They can bake whatever they make best, and everyone can enjoy. It's just a fun way to get together as well, visiting, talking, baking... eating. :)

This year I am making amaretto cookies with orange icing.

Sounds delicious! I'll take a box of those, please. ;)

Reaction score
Oooh, amaretto cookies sound amazing!

This past holiday, I baked breakfast foods and froze them in food saver bags so our recipients could enjoy them whenever. Their packages included whisky banana muffin tops, pecan pie muffins, almond waffles, and blackberry breakfast bars.

It took a couple of weeks to recover from holiday baking, but I'm ready to jump back in the kitchen. Anyone else bake holiday gifts for 2016?

Ask a Question