Do you prefer Instant Coffee or Filter Coffee?

Instant Coffee or Filter Coffee?

• Total voters
Reaction score
My husband and I use filtered coffee all the way. We use the filter in a ceramic cone over our coffee mug. And we always buy and grind our dark beans. we usually buy our coffee beans from Costco like the Frensh Roast by Kirkland or Petes and Starbucks. I can not live with out my coffee.

Reaction score
I have had instant coffee but I am so use to brewed coffee. I am actually trying to get away from coffee.

Reaction score
Like I said before Instant coffee just can't stand up to fresh brewed coffee. I found a starbuck brand instant coffee and I must admit that I have become a fan. It does ot taste like instant coffee at all. I may have to stock p on this fo those mornings i don' thave time to brew a propper cup of coffee.

Reaction score
I much prefer ground coffee over instant. It just has a richer flavor. I do use instant coffee in recipes and it works well for that.

Reaction score
I drank instant coffee during a busy few weeks recently. It seemed to me that I was not sleeping well while I was doing that. Maybe instant coffee really is stronger than brewed.

Reaction score
Filter coffee, but a coffee maker is more of a luxury for us right now! So instant coffee is what we usually drink when we do feel like drinking coffee.

Reaction score
While I'm apartment hunting my stuff is packed, so I'm using an electric kettle and instant coffee. I hate it. But I'm also not drinking a brand name instant, so that's probably part of the problem. I'm drinking the Walmart brand instant coffee because it's $1. I miss my coffee maker.

Reaction score
While I'm apartment hunting my stuff is packed, so I'm using an electric kettle and instant coffee. I hate it. But I'm also not drinking a brand name instant, so that's probably part of the problem. I'm drinking the Walmart brand instant coffee because it's $1. I miss my coffee maker.

OH that just sounds horrible! The only thing worse than instant coffee is Walmart brand instant coffee! I hope you are able to find an apartment soon so that you can have even the small indulgence of a good cup of coffee. Electric kettles do make pretty good coffee though.

Reaction score
Technically, neither. I do not care for instant coffee much at all, but my personal preference for at home is "cowboy" coffee. I started doing it this way because I don't have a coffee maker anymore. I don't have the space for it and gave it away when I was not drinking coffee some time ago. Since I have literally no place to put one, I did not get another one when I started drinking coffee again.

I like to get organic whole beans, grind them right before making the coffee, which is super easy. Just put grounds in water, bring to a boil and pull off the stove once it boils. Then I go take a quick shower, come back and pour it through a large tea strainer into my teapot. I like making it this way because I get more flavor from the beans than I would if I used a filter, so I can have more onces of coffee without going overboard on the caffeine.

Reaction score

So sorry to hear that! I hope you find a new apartment soon, you and your daughter will be in my prayers. Until then take care of yourselves! I have tasted the walmart brand and let me tell you it is awful, Nescafe is a little better, but nothing beats filtered coffee!

Reaction score
In the UK we have much better instant coffee that the US. I prefer instant coffee as I buy the instant espresso which is finely ground and very strong. I have to say the granules in the US are dreadful and I always bring my own coffee over from the UK when I go the US.

Reaction score
I am not a coffee lover but if ever I will drink coffee I want the Instant decaffeinated coffee than any other coffees we had. It is just that I love its simple taste and as its name implies in just an instant you already have one cup of coffee :)

Reaction score
In the UK we have much better instant coffee that the US. I prefer instant coffee as I buy the instant espresso which is finely ground and very strong. I have to say the granules in the US are dreadful and I always bring my own coffee over from the UK when I go the US.
I was beginning to think I was alone in the instant verse filter but I think you may have explained it to me.
I prefer instant. There are certain ones that are really nice in the UK (and then there are the ones you avoid at all costs). If someone gets out a large container of Maxwell House coffee, I will run a mile. If they get out a large container of Nescafe, I can cope. But my favourite is Café Direct Medium Roast or Machu Picchu.
Ironically given the choice, I will choose instant every time. There is something about filter coffee that I just don't really like in the UK.

Reaction score
I'm a coffee snob (actually, I think I'm just a snob in general ;) ) and I prefer filtered coffee. I really need to give it up though. It's never agreed with me, but I love the smell and taste. It's more than a beverage, it's become a ritual of sorts

Reaction score
I am a coffee snob and filtered coffee is considered cheap in the UK, because no one reheats coffee as they seem to in the US. We just throw out old coffee and boil the kettle for a fresh cup. You won't find many places in the UK that offer filtered coffee because that's like asking for tap water in a restaurant.

In the US I see it's the opposite, so I take my own coffee with me. Strong espresso and much better than an filtered coffee and quicker than waiting for a coffee in shop. Most US friends turn their nose up, but that's because they have never tried decent coffee.

Reaction score
Wow, I had no idea things were that different in the UK! It sounds so odd to me, people thinking of filtered coffee as cheap over there sounds so odd to me o_O In my mother country everyone drinks espresso, and filtered coffee is seen as something fancy, vso fancy all the cafeterias serve it that way.

Reaction score
I like filter coffee much better, but if I'm in a pinch and don't want to brew a whole pot, instant does the trick just fine.

Reaction score
I use instant but I prefer filter. In my opinion filter is a lot nicer however at the moment I have nothing but a kettle in my kitchen so I survive without it at the moment. Drinking coffee out is lovely but can be super expensive on a daily basis and I am trying very hard to cut out certain expenses.

Instant coffee isn't amazing and I know a lot of people would rather nothing than instant but I need some type of a coffee fix in the morning so I make do with hat I have !

Reaction score
I don't mind instant coffee, and occasionally, I will actually get a craving for it, but when I make coffee, it's usually by using a drip coffeemaker or a french press.

Reaction score
I use instant but I prefer filter. In my opinion filter is a lot nicer however at the moment I have nothing but a kettle in my kitchen so I survive without it at the moment. Drinking coffee out is lovely but can be super expensive on a daily basis and I am trying very hard to cut out certain expenses.

Instant coffee isn't amazing and I know a lot of people would rather nothing than instant but I need some type of a coffee fix in the morning so I make do with hat I have !

I keep a Melitta pour over on hand, as well as several french presses, in case my drip maker goes out. I actually prefer the other methods, but the drip maker is quicker, so I usually use that, but the others do a great job, and all that's required (other than the pour over unit or french press) is a kettle. http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/me...a-c39f-48e9-b178-260bad6478c1&kpid=sku6196261

If you don't need the mug part, this is more like what I have, and it's even less expensive: http://www.drugstore.com/products/p...ID=120142990000036625&CAGPSPN=pla&kpid=334610

Ask a Question