Dough hooks..... or not??

Reaction score
I've just found an old hand mixer at the back of a kitchen cupboard. With it there are a couple of hooks that look like dough hooks but are a bit smaller than, say a Kenwood Chef dough hook. They are spiral in design. So, my question is - are they dough hooks ??
If so, can I use them to knead dough in a bowl rather than the manual method and how long would I "knead" for using this method???

Also, I don't possess a Dutch oven for bread baking so can i use a good size Arcopal ceramic casserole dish with lid instead???

BM-20210307_111503.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes dough hooks. But to be honest a hand mixer is not powerful enough to knead heavy dough. You’re better off just kneading by hand.

Reaction score
Thanks for reply. I've now found that these dough hooks also fit a stand mixer that I have so I presume that might be ok to use instead. It's not an "orbital" type of mixer (ie the beaters/hooks stay in the one position) but should it be ok as long as rotate the bowl manually ????

Reaction score
Thanks for reply. I've now found that these dough hooks also fit a stand mixer that I have so I presume that might be ok to use instead. It's not an "orbital" type of mixer (ie the beaters/hooks stay in the one position) but should it be ok as long as rotate the bowl manually ????
No I would not recommend using them in a stand mixer. These beaters are not designed to handle the torque generated by a stand mixer.

Reaction score
Attachments are also designed to fit proportionately in a stand mixer bowl so what is mixed will come in contact with the sides of the bowl to mix properly. This action is referred to as planetary mixing action. So the attachment has to be a certain length, width, and diameter based on the size of that particular bowl and the rotation of the mixer head.

This illustrates planetary mixing action
89FC796F-78E8-4247-A183-E2B43F02EABD.jpeg

Ask a Question