Ever Met one of those Know It All Bakers.....

Reaction score
It truly is sad Shellyann, This one individual went so far as to try and stalk another person because she didn't like what was said on another baking forum. I mean, seriously, no growing up from high school yet? Come on.... no one is better than anyone, we all have our own different tastes, preferences, but one method of baking does not make one an expert or so high and mighty - that is why I came here..... so far, no one is rude or nasty and that is a good thing!
Everyone here seems so nice and helpful.....

Ouch! That is so juvenille! A baking forum stalker is a bit obsessive. I don't care for people who know it all. Glad you found this forum. Everyone has been very nice since I have been here. I am sure it will stay that way!

Reaction score
My twin sister is like that. She likes to say that her baking is better than mine because she is always the one who gets to bake during the holidays. I use to bake the pies and everyone else loved them and said they were really good. She said they were alright. Talk about mean.

Annette I am so sorry that you have to put up with that within your own family. I am glad that I don't have any siblings like that. Leave her to all the baking. In fact you should probably suggest several extra things that you would liked baked for the holidays. LOL

Yes, my mother is like that lol. When I was in high school I took pastry classes at a local community college (I ditched a lot of school and needed the credits to graduate ha.) and my mother enrolled with me to ensure that I actually went and oh lord was that obnoxious. She was the oldest one in the class and constantly "corrected" the teacher and other students... it was mortifying haha. And I never lived down getting a B+ in the course while she got an A.

Oh goodness dandeliion that must have been one frustrating class! I am sure you felt like crawling under the table every day. I know you were happy to get it over and done with. LOL I think in some ways your mother was just trying to assure that you got through it ok... however parents do tend to go overboard at times. Be happy you got that B+ !

Reaction score
I will probably take your advice because I actually do have a few things I would like this year. I don't know if she will bake any of them, but if not then I will bake them so that she can have what shr wants and I can have what I want.

Reaction score
Ouch Tom that is horrible. I guess if her cooking was all that great it might not be so bad letting her run the show but if she can't cook what is everyone suppose to eat? I hate it when a family member holds holidays and special occasions hostage in the kitchen! What have you done about the turkey dilema? I am not a huge fan of turkey but I at least want it on Thanksgiving.

Oh Preya I am so sorry to hear this. There was no need to hurt your feelings. Shame on your aunt!

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I agree with you 100%, there was no need to hurt my feelings. Sadly, this is how she is and my cousins were telling me to just bare it with a grin because apparently she goes around criticizing everyone's baked goods and cooking. That's a pretty evil thing to do though. :(

Reaction score
Thank you for your kind words. Yes, I agree with you 100%, there was no need to hurt my feelings. Sadly, this is how she is and my cousins were telling me to just bare it with a grin because apparently she goes around criticizing everyone's baked goods and cooking. That's a pretty evil thing to do though. :(
I agree with that. I wish that my sister would be a little nicer with her criticism about my baking. I would like that.

Reaction score
I have never experienced the bakeing it knows it all , I have come across the recipe builder. The person who follows you around all night making comments like, oh is that nutmeg I taste ,I use cinnamon myself.They say things like if you used real butter and baked this for about 15 more minutes it would be perfect. As they eat your treats they call out things like, you know what this is missing , a glaze ,or if you add a dash of this you would really be on to something.

Reaction score
I will probably take your advice because I actually do have a few things I would like this year. I don't know if she will bake any of them, but if not then I will bake them so that she can have what shr wants and I can have what I want.

Yep load her up with treats you would like... ;)

I have never experienced the bakeing it knows it all , I have come across the recipe builder. The person who follows you around all night making comments like, oh is that nutmeg I taste ,I use cinnamon myself.They say things like if you used real butter and baked this for about 15 more minutes it would be perfect. As they eat your treats they call out things like, you know what this is missing , a glaze ,or if you add a dash of this you would really be on to something.

Oh now that would irk me to no end!! I have not come across anyone like that yet. I hope that I don't. You know... being in the kitchen and all it is easy to get to sharp objects... :eek: LOL just kidding but it would be so bothersome.

Reaction score
I agree with that. I wish that my sister would be a little nicer with her criticism about my baking. I would like that.

Perhaps you should just tell her that.

That is sad. I hope it improves. I will keep my mouth shut to my SIL just to keep the family peace.

Reaction score
Next time she insults your baking, suggest she enter a Pillsbury contest or try to get on a cooking competition show. If she's really that sure of herself (which I doubt) she'll junp at the chance, probably not win, and quit critiquing your baking. Even if she wins, she'll probably continue on with other contests and not have time to bother with what you make.

If she doesn't try, just ask her about it every time she does comment. It might just make her think before she speaks.

Reaction score

I get annoyed when I look up a recipe online and most of the comments on the recipe are people posting what they did differently. I think people should try a recipe at least once the way it is written before changing the ingredients. It irks me when people post "Great recipe but I completely ignored it and changed all the ingredients."

Reaction score
Yeah my father is like that, he knows best how to bake and blah blah blah, he's something of a perfectionist and gets pretty angry when his stuff flops, lol, I find it funny 'cuz I just bake for fun and because I enjoy eating whatever I make, even if it is a bit of flop and hey, my friends don't mind either, they get to chow too!

Reaction score
I've met people like this in the workplace. If it's my superior then I must obey his directions no matter what, which is difficult when I know he's wrong about something. Sometimes it's best to just nod and agree.

Reaction score
Yes, my mother is like that lol. When I was in high school I took pastry classes at a local community college (I ditched a lot of school and needed the credits to graduate ha.) and my mother enrolled with me to ensure that I actually went and oh lord was that obnoxious. She was the oldest one in the class and constantly "corrected" the teacher and other students... it was mortifying haha. And I never lived down getting a B+ in the course while she got an A.
That sounds extreme. Does she act "crazy" in other aspects of your life or was that a one time thing?

It would be scary if she acted like when you have kids. I had a know it all mother in law who swore that everything I did as a mother was wrong.

Reaction score
That sounds extreme. Does she act "crazy" in other aspects of your life or was that a one time thing?

It would be scary if she acted like when you have kids. I had a know it all mother in law who swore that everything I did as a mother was wrong.
HMM, I have a future in law thats like that, I don't think him and I will ever see eye to eye but thats just too bad:D

Reaction score
Well perhaps the title is misleading. The kind of baker I am speaking of is the kind that can always out bake everyone around them and is easy to find fault of someone elses baked items. My SIL is like this. She has taken it upon herself to be the family baker and she does not like to share the spotlight with anyone who has the nerve to bake anything for any of the family functions. She has literally turned up her nose and said "hmp" about one of my cakes once. I was shocked and mad at first. After a while I cooled down and it actually made me laugh that she was like that. Have you ever faced one of these bakers? The kind that knows everything and can bake circles around you? Do share your stories please.

Oh yeah! I have met people like that, sadly in many other circumstances, not only baking :( My sister is one of those know it all bakers, I'd never have the nerve to bake, let's say... cookies? If i know she will be tasting them. She is to harsh, but I must admit she is a really good baker!

Reaction score
My twin sister is like that. She likes to say that her baking is better than mine because she is always the one who gets to bake during the holidays. I use to bake the pies and everyone else loved them and said they were really good. She said they were alright. Talk about mean.

You sister is obviously very insecure, if she wasn't she'd not behave that way. So don't feel bad, just remember you are stronger and not insecure like her, that makes you a better person, kudos to you! Just ignore her when she does that and smile at her, that will confuse her :) Adding a witty remark along with that smile would be even better.

Reaction score
Oh I think we all have had the misfortune at one time or another, you find those people in every aspect of life and they can be quite hard to deal with...particularly if you're prone to having a bit of a temper like me :p. I mostly just ignore it though, I honestly believe that people with that kind of attitude 1.) aren't terribly secure in themselves and their own abilities. and 2.) probably grew up with that sort of attitude directed at them and did not receive a lot of acceptance. Which is pretty sad.

Reaction score
I've never met a baker like that, but I know the type. I've been in situations where I've sensed a lot of intellectual insecurity and snobbery. I'm not keen on those attitudes myself for I like to help other people who want to learn and I like to learn by surrounding myself with interesting people. A little banter and competition isn't bad, but taken too far and it can be intimidating and puts people off from trying things.

Reaction score
I find I might be one of those bakers..., but I'm just trying to help! I tend to find faults in cakes and pastries that my cooks makes. It's maybe because I give tough love to my cooks at my restaurant, and I want everything to be perfect when serving dishes to customers. As for friends and relatives, I'm just polite and eat it without saying anything.

Reaction score
I avoid these people all the time and don't like them in my life. I think baking is like drawing a picture, it's also and art to be appreciated and maybe they don't look perfect like a shop, but it's the effort required and thought. People like that don't deserve my baking, it's not as if I am in a competition.

My ex told him his nephew wasn't allowed a homebaked birthday cake as both grandmothers were so competitive, so their selfishness led to him never having a cake.

Ask a Question