Ever Met one of those Know It All Bakers.....

Reaction score
Well perhaps the title is misleading. The kind of baker I am speaking of is the kind that can always out bake everyone around them and is easy to find fault of someone elses baked items. My SIL is like this. She has taken it upon herself to be the family baker and she does not like to share the spotlight with anyone who has the nerve to bake anything for any of the family functions. She has literally turned up her nose and said "hmp" about one of my cakes once. I was shocked and mad at first. After a while I cooled down and it actually made me laugh that she was like that. Have you ever faced one of these bakers? The kind that knows everything and can bake circles around you? Do share your stories please.

Wow...it sounds to me like you were describing my mother just now as she think she's the world's best baker and takes credit for just about everything even if deep down she knows it's someone else who did the hard work...not that i could say any of this to her face as it would be endless argument. I think i've gotten use to her ways so i just ignore most of the times.

Reaction score
I recently got dissed for making a loaf of bread by hand. Apparently the person didn't respect my perfect loaf of handmade bread because she gets perfect loaves all the time from her bread machine. It's kind of annoying to hear rude comments because I choose to make bread by hand instead of automating the process.

Reaction score
I'm not a "know it all" but I've been baking long enough to know what works and what doesn't.

There have been people who have tried to bake and brought stuff to me or to work and asked my opinions.

Well, I'm one of those bakers who is more into the taste of the item than the actual look of it. But if they ask my opinion, I WILL tell them the truth....in a nice way of course.

But I love it when someone "out bakes" me! I get to learn something new!

Reaction score
what are you suppose to say,when you know yours is better ? we all get along just fine at family gatherings,no competition as to whose is best,but I've upped my cooking a lot in the last several years,how am i suppose to tell one sister that my deviled eggs kick dirt on hers ? and how do i tell my other sister that my baked beans will make hers suck eggs ?

or so I think:) just so nobody in mad,I haven't brought it up,much :) but I don't want to hurt there feelings,so i haven't brought mine to any family gatherings,so suck it up and be quiet about it or say something and make both my sisters mad ?

they are mean and will get back at me some way or the other,ya'll know how it is with siblings lol even though we are pushing uuuh grey hair age,they would never let me forget if mine are better :)

Reaction score
what are you suppose to say,when you know yours is better ? we all get along just fine at family gatherings,no competition as to whose is best,but I've upped my cooking a lot in the last several years,how am i suppose to tell one sister that my deviled eggs kick dirt on hers ? and how do i tell my other sister that my baked beans will make hers suck eggs ?

or so I think:) just so nobody in mad,I haven't brought it up,much :) but I don't want to hurt there feelings,so i haven't brought mine to any family gatherings,so suck it up and be quiet about it or say something and make both my sisters mad ?

they are mean and will get back at me some way or the other,ya'll know how it is with siblings lol even though we are pushing uuuh grey hair age,they would never let me forget if mine are better :)

Best way to get the point across that you think yours is better, is if other people cant stop praising your cooking or baking.

I never have to "toot my own horn"....once people taste what I make, they can't stop talking about it.
And I'm not bragging when I say that either.

Reaction score
I love them and don't won't them mad at me,plus i'd have to be better on every family get together :)

Reaction score
I like when people give me feedback on ways to make my baking better, especially if they're more experienced than me! But the sad reality of life is that there are always people out there that try and cut you down for whatever reason - jealousy, envy, things like that. If someone legitimately wants to help, I think they go about it very differently than just the type of person who tries to "one-up" you.

I've known a lot of "one-uppers" and it's sad that they feel a really insane need to compete, almost aggressively!

Reaction score
I'm lucky enough that I'm my own harshest critic and people will compliment it however it looks.

One of the things that does sometimes foster unhealthy competitiveness is the "potluck" type of arrangement where two people bring almost the same thing. Or, as often happened to us at the office, just TOO darn much food all around. But the issue with your sister-in-law sounds like there's something else going on there. Maybe her own family is very competitive, or maybe she's hanging a lot on her baking to make her feel secure in your family? Do you see each other often? If you live close enough, maybe an occasion where you bake together?

Reaction score
I've only ever dealt with this just a bit. There have been times when I've wanted to cook for a family holiday get together but it always gets passed to my eldest sister. Always with the excuse about location or they don't want me to stress about that. (One thing I hate more than anything is when someone tells me not to stress. It makes me angry.) I love my sister to bits but it's frustrating.
As for insecurities I think it does play into it. In my family I'm kind of like a background character. Mostly conversations and such revolve around everyone else and I'm okay with that as I'm pretty shy, but there are times I want to be noticed or appreciated. So when I bring a cake or cupcakes or muffins or homemade donuts to a get together I kinda bask in the compliments as I don't hear them about much else. I've become the family baker for a couple reasons. Everyone else doesn't have the time or energy and they love my baking. And I am also lactose intolerant which would create an issue if someone else did all of the desserts. Although I'm not very good at baking pies and every thanksgiving and Christmas my sister Amanda bakes them.

Reaction score
I think it's a benefit to be surrounded by so many talented people. In my family there are a number of creative obsessed hobbyists. We encourage and appreciate the talents of others and openly share our knowledge with family and friends.

My sister is an amazing fiber artist. She literally selects sheep to be shorn based on breed and wool attributes. She then washes, combs, spins, and dyes wool into yarn. Then she either knits or weaves it some beautiful creation. She spins on a spinning wheel that was made in the mid 1700s. She and the others in her guild are keepers of a history that spans thousands of years.

I have a niece who is an organic gardener. She uses the earth and plants to teach people about life and where our food comes from. She's has used a garden to teach school child about math and science. She uses her knowledge to help change how we farm in order to preserve the environment for future generations.

I have a son who is a a sports coach. He's always at the ready to teach and encourage others about fitness, nutrition; how tonset goals and achieve them. He makes very detailed, science based videos to teach people how to exercise safely and how to feed their bodies. He created a spreadsheet that people could download for free to help them create an exercise and nutrition plan to meet their fitness goals.

I have a brother who can pretty much build a house from the foundation up. He pretty much built an 3800 sq foot house on his own. A few years later, he remodeled a house for another family member.

Another brother can take a totaled car, so smashed the insurance companies will send it to the junk yard, straighten the frame and rebuild it so beautifully you'd never know it was ever in a crash. When a car starts making funny noises or stops working, he can look under the hood and in five minutes tell you what's broken and how to fix it.

I am the obsessed baker. I'll bake any time, any place, any where. Anyone needs a cake for an event, I'll bake it. Anyone need treats for a potluck, I'll bake it. Anyone just want to come over for a slice of pie and coffee, my front door is always open. Someone need help with a baking project, I'm right there. Im currently converting GF recipes for a friend of my son.

When we get together, we all talk about our hobbies with passion. Maybe from the outside looking in people might think we're a bunch of self-absorbed know-it-alls. But if I need to fix a dripping faucet, or I need to lose a few pounds, or I want to grow a herb garden in my kitchen, I'd rather have a know-it-all tell me how to do it right than someone who hasn't had any real experience.

Reaction score
I think it's a benefit to be surrounded by so many talented people. In my family there are a number of creative obsessed hobbyists. We encourage and appreciate the talents of others and openly share our knowledge with family and friends.

My sister is an amazing fiber artist. She literally selects sheep to be shorn based on breed and wool attributes. She then washes, combs, spins, and dyes wool into yarn. Then she either knits or weaves it some beautiful creation. She spins on a spinning wheel that was made in the mid 1700s. She and the others in her guild are keepers of a history that spans thousands of years.

I have a niece who is an organic gardener. She uses the earth and plants to teach people about life and where our food comes from. She's has used a garden to teach school child about math and science. She uses her knowledge to help change how we farm in order to preserve the environment for future generations.

I have a son who is a a sports coach. He's always at the ready to teach and encourage others about fitness, nutrition; how tonset goals and achieve them. He makes very detailed, science based videos to teach people how to exercise safely and how to feed their bodies. He created a spreadsheet that people could download for free to help them create an exercise and nutrition plan to meet their fitness goals.

I have a brother who can pretty much build a house from the foundation up. He pretty much built an 3800 sq foot house on his own. A few years later, he remodeled a house for another family member.

Another brother can take a totaled car, so smashed the insurance companies will send it to the junk yard, straighten the frame and rebuild it so beautifully you'd never know it was ever in a crash. When a car starts making funny noises or stops working, he can look under the hood and in five minutes tell you what's broken and how to fix it.

I am the obsessed baker. I'll bake any time, any place, any where. Anyone needs a cake for an event, I'll bake it. Anyone need treats for a potluck, I'll bake it. Anyone just want to come over for a slice of pie and coffee, my front door is always open. Someone need help with a baking project, I'm right there. Im currently converting GF recipes for a friend of my son.

When we get together, we all talk about our hobbies with passion. Maybe from the outside looking in people might think we're a bunch of self-absorbed know-it-alls. But if I need to fix a dripping faucet, or I need to lose a few pounds, or I want to grow a herb garden in my kitchen, I'd rather have a know-it-all tell me how to do it right than someone who hasn't had any real experience.

Hmmmm.............

I think I'm JEALOUS!!!!
:mad:

I wish I was raised in a family like that. Nobody ever cared about anything I can do.

Over the years I've tried to put my talents to money making use.......but people are so damned greedy, they all "want it", but refuse to PAY for it!!!

I pretty much know how to do anything, as I've pretty much done everything, aside from rocket science and brain surgery, LOL.

Reaction score
Hmmmm.............

I think I'm JEALOUS!!!!
:mad:

I wish I was raised in a family like that. Nobody ever cared about anything I can do.

Over the years I've tried to put my talents to money making use.......but people are so damned greedy, they all "want it", but refuse to PAY for it!!!

I pretty much know how to do anything, as I've pretty much done everything, aside from rocket science and brain surgery, LOL.

Lol, very few of us have performed brain surgery. :)

Ask a Question