Flan Texture/Consistency Issues

Reaction score
Hi y’all, so I’ve been having problems with making my flan have a consistent texture throughout.
Here’s the recipe that I’ve been working with:

3 eggs (whole —> trying to not change this part for no leftover egg parts)
1 1/2 c milk/cream/dairy
1/3 c sugar
Vanilla
+ caramel

I’ve tried diff combinations of dairy, but even if their texture is consistent, it’s either too much chew or too heavy.

full half and half: consistent texture but not creamy enough

3/4 each h&h and heavy cream: good mouthfeel, but texture split into two halves (bottom creamy, top like full h&h). A line between the two textures was visible

full heavy cream: consistent texture but too heavy

Any thiughts

Reaction score
it depends which country , french flan uses starch, its boiled on the stove same as pastry cream then poured into a mold or pan, cooled and baked with no water bath.

Its not obvious what you're trying to make, the recipe looks like creme caramel which should be poached.
I've never seen one separate, did you scald the milk to dissolve the sugar ?

Reaction score
it depends which country , french flan uses starch, its boiled on the stove same as pastry cream then poured into a mold or pan, cooled and baked with no water bath.

Its not obvious what you're trying to make, the recipe looks like creme caramel which should be poached.
I've never seen one separate, did you scald the milk to dissolve the sugar ?
I scald the milk mixture and sugar together and then add that to slowly to the eggs. Then I bake it in a water bath.

I think the recipe said crème caramel?

Is it possible that milk fat %s are causing the separation? The different densities (taking a shot in the dark)?

Would maybe using only light cream work better?

Reaction score
Its supposed to be milk.
If you use cream you're supposed to use yolks, not whole eggs.

For creamy richness you can't beat creme brule', the caramel is made on top though, not under the custard.
The reason is because it lacks the body to be predictably unmolded so its served in the individual dish its baked in.

Ask a Question