Grandma's Polish Sweet Bread

Discussion in 'Bread' started by Jean S., Sep 29, 2017.

1. Jean S.

Norcalbaker59 Well-Known Member

Heating liquid and taking the temperature is not a multi step process.

Into be honest I’ve never heard of anyone that could not bloom yeast. It is a fundamental process of working with yeast.

I spent hours working on this recipe.

I calculated the baker’s percentages based on your grandmother’s list.

I calculated an amount of each ingredient to create a single loaf based on the baker’s percentages.

I converted the ingredient amounts to volume measurements. Which entailed weighing, the re-measuring by measuring cup each ingredient.

I determined the methods most appropriate to create that open from that you want so badly.

I purchased the ingredients that I didn’t have in my pantry.

I used my time and ingredients to actually bake bread that I cannot even eat.

I took photographs of the process.

I took photographs of equipment.

I took photographs of the finish bread.

I wrote out the recipe in detail so would be able to understand the process.

I looked on the Internet for videos that would demonstrate these techniques for you.

I included links to the videos to demonstrate all the techniques.

I answered dozens of your questions. There’s 159 comments. And the only ones that have been commenting on this link are you and I.

I made the bread exactly as you remembered it and wanted it

After all my work and effort, you’re angry because you cannot bloom yeast. Your inability to do something so fundamental is not something I can fix.

It is not a multi step process. It’s placing a thermometer probe in liquid to look at the temperature. There’s nothing to troubleshoot.

I think my time, effort, and ingredients invested in a project for an total stranger, who is rude because she cannot bloom yeast is a bit much.

Norcalbaker59, Nov 26, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Jean S.

Jean S. Well-Known Member

It is too bad you feel or read that I was rude, never my intention, all I wrote was what I am experiencing. No fault was pointed at you at all.

I in turn gave you an Old World recipe of Paska, it may have come from a small village in Poland, not to be found even on the web to this day. All the other Paska recipes on the web, did not include the air holes. I know that the recipe was my grandma's, from how she remembered it in the old country. Maybe? Maybe not. Unknown who the baker was.

I gave you the history, a true copy of the original recipe, and detailed description of what this lovely bread should look like.

I gave you personal information as to my grandmothers name, a photo, and the story of when it was given, where it was done, what they did with it by donating it to the church for Bingo, and my cousins opinion as to the look of it. Only we in this family know and I shared that with you. You now have a full history of this bread.

I have thanked you multiple, multiple times throughout the thread.

I have complimented you multiple, multiple times on the thread.

I shared a family recipe with a complete stranger.

I'll get there, I know I will, and again Thank you for all your time, knowledge, and expertise. Your family loves it and will have the recipe for years to come.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    Jean S., Nov 26, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. Jean S.

Norcalbaker59 Well-Known Member

It was rude when you demanded my friend take a photograph of the bread. When I explained that my friend is still going through chemotherapy for cancer you knowledged that, yet still asked for a photograph. It turned out he could not eat something that rich so I took it to my sisters house.

I also find it rude when you state that 12 times is quite enough. And then you want me to tell you how much cake yeast to use. The only way I could possibly know how much cake yeast to use would be to actually make it with cake yeast. Trying 12 times may seem like a lot of time. But I put in considerable time and effort. A lot more time than it takes to warm milk and sprinkle yeast over it 12 times.

And frankly if it failed 12 times I would say there something wrong with the yeast. Either it’s dead or it’s instant and not active dry yeast.

The only reason the bread I made from the ingredients list has the open crumb you want is because of the techniques I employed to mix the dough. But if you put all those ingredients into a home mixer it will just bake up looking the same as all the other paska. The reason that you see all that paska on the Internet with a tight closed crumb is those loaves are mixed in a home mixer.

There’s nothing in the recipe to make the large holes in the dough. It’s the mixing process that creates them. Your grandmother had a commercial mixer which is much more powerful so it developed the necessary gluten. A home mixer will not develop the gluten necessary to create the holes. It has to be done by hand, in the same way that open crumb sourdough bread is hand mixed to create the open crumb.

Norcalbaker59, Nov 26, 2017
  4. Jean S.

susanb New Member

Reading your "conversations" was like a reading a mystery novel. Will Norcalbaker59 be able to condense the recipe for a single loaf? Will the condensed recipe be edible? Will Norcalbaker59 tire of Jean S's questions? Will Norcalbaker59 just give up? I couldn't stop reading. It appears that Nocalbaker59 was successful with the recipe, it's too bad the thread ended on a sour note. I will try this recipe as it sounds very good. Thank you Jean S and Norcalbaker59.

susanb, Mar 15, 2018
    Jean S., Becky and Norcalbaker59 like this.
  5. Jean S.

Jean S. Well-Known Member

I hope you let me/us know how your bread turned out. I agree this ended on a sour note. I decided not to "argue" the point. I wasn't rude about her sick friend, in fact I understood his grief, I hope he is doing well or at least ok. I also decided not to ask any more questions. I guess this where I turn into a baker or not. I am on my 3rd attempt at the bread, had to adjust a few things, and will plug away at it. As I have repeatedly said I appreciate her breaking down the recipe that is what I was in search for, for decades. While this is an intermediate/advanced recipe she gave me in terms of techniques, as a beginner baker, but a memory of this bread is instilled with me, I will push on. Glad you enjoyed the read and the recipe, grandma would be happy!

Jean S., Mar 30, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question