Recommendations for Durable Nut Choppers

Reaction score
I love adding chopped nuts to my baking projects. I use a nut chopper from Bed, Bath, and Beyond because their model works well...until it breaks. I swear I have gone through like 6 of them. Anyone else have a similar problem, or recommendation for a better brand?

Reaction score
I have the same problem actually. I have gone through 4 nut grinders in the past 3 and a half years. I use it mostly to grind spices and I guess frequent use does that. However,I've been using Cuisinart nut grinder for the last 5 months and it is still holding up well. It was on sale and going for less than half the regular retail price so I got a really good deal on it too.

Reaction score
I put shelled nuts in a large ziplock bag (leaving the last inch or two unzipped to let any air escape), lay the bag flat on the counter, cover the bag with a tea towel, and "walk" my rolling pin across the bag until the nuts are the right consistency. No muss, no fuss.

Reaction score
I actually used to do that too for nuts but that method just doesn't work with spices which has been the main cause of failure of my cheap grinders over the years. And the stronger smell and flavor of the freshly ground spices also mean I am going to stick to grinding my own rather than buying the spice bottles from the supermarket thus the search for a good grinder.

Reaction score
My grandmother still has a nut chopper from since I was a kid. We both chopped many walnuts together over the years. I decided to buy myself a nut chopper, but it wasn't like the one my grandmother has. First, time I tried grinding some nuts the blades bent immediately, and it smells like something was burning. I was so disappointed, and I did not get the job done. It went straight into the trash. It was a waste of money!!! :(

Reaction score
I put shelled nuts in a large ziplock bag (leaving the last inch or two unzipped to let any air escape), lay the bag flat on the counter, cover the bag with a tea towel, and "walk" my rolling pin across the bag until the nuts are the right consistency. No muss, no fuss.

That's what I do sometimes, too!! And if I put too many in the bag, then the rest can stay right in the ziplock bag for next time.

Depending on which nut it is, I might just do a quick chop on a cutting board, too. Walnuts, for example, are easy to quickly chop and move on instead of bothering with pulling out equipment and cleaning them.

Ask a Question