Do you know anyone who has never really baked?

Reaction score
I was just thinking before I was a stay at home parent when I worked in an office - I used to love bringing in baked treats to share with everyone!

There were a number of people around my age that worked in the same office, who said they'd never made a cake, or cupcakes, or anything. I guess part of me felt a little sad about it - because I think baking is often one of those things we learn from our parents or grandparents to start with. But I wasn't close enough with them to say "hey, come over to my house, and we can bake together!"

What about you? Have you known people that have never really tried their hand at baking anything? Have you perhaps taught anyone how?

Reaction score
I had a friend who never really tried to bake or even to cook at all. She said all what she wants is to eat only and to think that she is already matured enough to learn this kind of household activity. She is still single and not yet married but I think that is not an excuse to consider. All I am telling her is that she should start learning how to cook and to bake so that when she get married she knows already.

Reaction score
I suspect my sister. Unless you count baking as buying premade cookie dough at the store. She has never liked cooking or anything of the sort. My mom tried to teach her how to cook different Filipino dishes, but she never took to it. She has 3 kids now, and I've never seen her bake once when I'm around.

Reaction score
my aunt doesn't know how to bake either and she came to me once and whispered it asking for my help I was shocked cause seriously not even one of those box cakes who hasn't at least made one of those. I helped her anyway or tried to it was a disaster as she never wanted to listen to instructions and follow measurements so the cake came out too soggy but tasted fine. some people just aren't meant to be near an oven is all.

Reaction score
I have a relative who can cook beautifully, but she doesn't do any "real" baking. She doesn't bake anything from scratch, in other words. Now, if it's doctoring up a cake mix for cupcakes or something, yeah, she does okay. I've never seen her bake anything that didn't come in a package though.

Reaction score
My mom has never really baked anything. My grandma didn't seem to be much of a baker, but at least she could cook ;) My mom can't to this day. Now my oldest half sister is the one who was and still is really into baking. I'm also into baking, but she started baking (and is really good at it, specially with cookies) very early on. I started baking a bit late, I think I tried to bake my own pie when I was 17?

Reaction score
I have a relative who can cook beautifully, but she doesn't do any "real" baking. She doesn't bake anything from scratch, in other words. Now, if it's doctoring up a cake mix for cupcakes or something, yeah, she does okay. I've never seen her bake anything that didn't come in a package though.

That's like a lot of people I know these days too...I think it's part of life these days that a lot of people are very short on time, so box mixes are the go-to thing that people will buy. I do use them from time to time too, but I find it relaxing to bake from scratch, I guess. The only thing that doesn't relax me is the clean up!! ;)

Reaction score
Yeah, I like easy too, but easier doesn't really mean better. Sometimes, I just want better.

Oh, I hear you right there, @cupcakechef. The clean up is not the fun part. Even though I've tried to get in the habit of cleaning up as I go, I still end up with a lot of stuff to wash. Bleh.

Reaction score
I think it's just the way it is - maybe in 50 years we will all have clean-up robots that will do the cleaning for us...and never have to deal with the mountain of dishes that comes along with our fun baking projects! It's nice to dream, anyway!

Reaction score
My best friend hasn't ever baked. I've known her forever and I never realized until she was staying at my apartment and I asked her to make the whipped cream while I got dessert ready...she didn't know how to use my electric hand mixer! The reason it surprised me so much is that she's worked in commercial kitchens all her life, and her mom is a pastry chef!

Later the same visit she had to google how to boil an egg. She said she's just no good at cooking without a recipe and directions to follow, which is fair enough. It just caught me a little bit by surprise :p

Reaction score
Of course I do. Some of my female friends but the closest one to me is my sister. She is just terrible in the kitchen so I guess she is better off or we are better off. I don't know but I cannot remember her baking at any time in our lives. The farther she went is frying an egg and making fries.

Reaction score
In the ladies department I don't really know of anyone close to me who hasn't baked. As or the men, my husband and son have never baked and I doubt it will happen anything soon. I suspect there are a lot of people out there who can't bake. I think when most people decide to be in the kitchen it's to cook.

Ask a Question