Have you ever made challah bread?

Reaction score
Apparently it's a Jewish bread that's enriched with butter and eggs (I think!). It certainly tastes sublime, and I'm thinking of having a go at baking it. Before you do the second proof, the dough is plaited, or you can make smaller ones that are twisted prettily. Just wondered if anyone here has ever made it, and how complicated is it in comparison to other breads?

Reaction score
Actually i am not familiar with this bread and i can't remember seeing it in the bakery here ; i wonder what it taste like!

Reaction score
It tastes delicious! Not really a sweet dough, but an enriched bread for eating with dinner - at least that's how it was served to me when I had it. I'd really like to make it sometime.

I've found a picture for you to see how lovely it looks - it's not a picture of the one I had, just a pic from google.

Attachments

• challah.jpg
    challah.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 1,479
Reaction score
It tastes delicious! Not really a sweet dough, but an enriched bread for eating with dinner - at least that's how it was served to me when I had it. I'd really like to make it sometime.

I've found a picture for you to see how lovely it looks - it's not a picture of the one I had, just a pic from google.

It looks delicious indeed, the next time i go shopping i will ask around and see if any of the bakeries make this bread.

Reaction score
I have baked challah every Friday for a few years. I have tried many different variations, such as chocolate chip and whole wheat. Last week I made a cinnamon swirl challah, which smelled heavenly and which everyone loved. I also braid it in different ways, either with a simple three-strand braid, a five or six-strand braid, or in a circle. I have even tried making little individual braided loaves and rolls. Making challah can take a bit of practice, but it is not difficult to make if you start simple.

Ask a Question