Have you ever made miniature cakes?

Reaction score
I keep coming across these little cakes in magazines, and online. They look so cute, and there are so many different versions from sponge cakes to fruit cakes, and some are covered in fondant and decorated so beautifully. I've never tried doing any - have you?

Here's some pictures:

Attachments

• minicakes1.jpg
    minicakes1.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 390
  • minicakes2.jpg
    minicakes2.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 367
  • minicakes3.jpg
    minicakes3.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 348
  • minicakes4.jpg
    minicakes4.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 399
  • minicakes5.jpg
    minicakes5.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 365
Reaction score
I have made them before, but they are hard to decorate because they are so tiny. I will make a big cake in the oven and then just cut out the little cake forms with a cookie cutter or whatever I have on hand to cut them with.

Reaction score
I am a newbie and something like that I am not in a rush to make. I had some friends who made some for a sale we had some time back. I will never forget those miniature cakes. They were so pretty to look at but the taste fell way short. It's then I thought to myself I don't want to make the mistake of trying to decorate and do fancy things and compromise on taste.

Reaction score
Oh my! These look beautiful! I've made cupcakes and minicupcakes, but I never even heard of this nor have I seen pictures. I would not be able to decorate this...

But Winterybella it is probably just a matter of recipe; I don't know why a minicake would be less tasty than a complete cake if it's well made!

Reaction score
If they are made right, they should taste like a regular cake would, just in a much smaller form. I do not recommend making petite fours as the icing is very waxy in my opinion and they just taste awful. Perhaps if you got them from a fancy bakery, but not the homemade kind.

Reaction score
I have made them before, but they are hard to decorate because they are so tiny. I will make a big cake in the oven and then just cut out the little cake forms with a cookie cutter or whatever I have on hand to cut them with.

Cutting them out from a larger cake sounds like a much easier (and more sensible) way of doing it than trying to line and fill those individual cake rings/tins I've seen others use.

If they are made right, they should taste like a regular cake would, just in a much smaller form. I do not recommend making petite fours as the icing is very waxy in my opinion and they just taste awful. Perhaps if you got them from a fancy bakery, but not the homemade kind.

I've never tried making petite fours, but I have heard others say that some of the icing recipes they've tried are waxy, and makes them taste awful not matter how pretty they look.

I think these little miniatures would look beautiful as an accompaniment to a wedding or other major celebratory cake.

Reaction score
They look very similar to cupcakes, but decorated like they were a full cake. I have not made them but I am wondering if I could just put extra butter in my muffin tin, skip the paper, and successfully get them out. I'm sure there is a special pan, or silicone thing for that, but I'm not in the market for more pans right now, no storage space.

Reaction score
These are beautiful indeed however calls for one to be skillful in cake decorating as they are so small.

Reaction score
I made a mini cake just a few days ago! It's only my partner and I in the house, and whenever I make a full cake, half of it goes to waste or is given to the neighbours! I decided to try out something new.
I used a regular box of vanilla rainbow chip cake mix to see how it would turn out. I used about a third of the mix, and divided the remaining ingredients by 3, and combined. I poured just enough batter to cover the bottom of my little rectangular pan, and put in the over for half of the stated time. I wanted it thin so that it could hold a nice layer of vanilla pudding on top.
I poured the remaining batter in the pan once it cooled, and baked for just a few minutes longer than the first.

The cake turned out beautiful and delicious!! I used my homemade icing recipe of icing sugar, butter, milk and vanilla, and my hubby loved it! We ate the whole thing, even though it could have given us a few evenings of dessert.

Reaction score
I have made mini loaf cakes and mini square cakes, but nothing like this before. These are beautiful would love to try these in the future.

Reaction score
I haven't made any mini cakes yet, but I've had the fortune to eat several in the past ;D I might make mini cakes for my little ones in the future tho! I think mini cakes can give a really nice and elegant touch to certain parties and reunions. I know because I was in a b-day party that was more like a reunion, we had the nicest mini cakes and cup cakes ever :D

Ask a Question