Home made Biscuits

Reaction score
I should have said the heavy whipping cream went into the dough Chester :)

Oh! LOL

I've never heard of anyone putting cream into biscuit dough!!!

I think my granny used buttermilk, but everybody else just used water. Probably why I don't like biscuits....they just taste BLAH.

Although I will eat stuff made with biscuit dough.... like pot pies and dumplings, and such.

I do love biscuits and gravy....of course I gotta have TONS of gravy!

Reaction score
it was the Tupelo Honey Buttermilk Biscuits recipe that I posted Chester,I think it was a combination of the cream and I did a good job of chilling the shortening and breaking it up good,I froze it for around 15 minutes or so in a measuring cup and used a pastry blender to rough cut it up and then used my fingers to break the shortening down to so called pea size ,I did leave them bigger than I usually do

so either that or the cream made a big difference in them,now I need to try freezing them,i do need a good recipe to make freezer biscuits,i assume the cream won't freeze well since it doesn't when I do make whipped topping ,I learned the hard way that it doesn't whip very well after it has been in the freezer

and then I noticed that the pints of heavy whipping cream do have a good shelf life in the fridge,so i'm working on keeping a couple in the fridge,just encase the stand mixer gets lonely ;)

Reaction score
here is the 2nd batch of them and still no biscuit cutter :)

001.JPG

here is some cornbread with Onions in it,just thought I'd throw that in too :)

003.JPG

Reaction score
the cornbread was awful good,surprisingly the onions floated to the top of the cornbread,I used the purple colored ones and they looked like blueberries in it :)

and the corn bread was a lot more moister,if that is a word lol

Reaction score
the cornbread was awful good,surprisingly the onions floated to the top of the cornbread,I used the purple colored ones and they looked like blueberries in it :)

and the corn bread was a lot more moister,if that is a word lol

My granny made her cornbread in the cast iron skillet too. Her cornbread was always perfect. Of course she was a master in the kitchen.

When I make plain cornbread, I put some honey in it as well as some garlic and onion powder. I know that sounds gross, but thats the way I like my cornbread.

Reaction score
Your biscuits and your cornbread look wonderful. I'm baking biscuits right now for a batch of biscuits and gravy as a kind of brunch. It's a little late for breakfast and a little early for lunch, so there we go.

I always make drop biscuits anyway. It's quicker, and I think they taste just as good. In fact, I think they are better, because they are fluffier. My husband likes them like that.

I always had a tough time with cornbread until I learned about making it in the cast iron skillet. I should have known that, since my grandma did it that way, but I never gave it much though. Once I started making it that way, it turned out much better.

Ugh, now I'm craving jalapeno cheddar cornbread. ;)

Reaction score
Over the years, I've found the EASIEST way to make ANY kind of bread or cake item is to just bake it in a muffin or cupcake pan!

You get the same shape each time, they all bake at the same rate, and they all just pop out of the pans with no fuss!

Reaction score
here is my next effort at the perfect biscuit :)

002.JPG
003.JPG

did ya'll notice the new Biscuit cutter ? :)

I think there going to be on the big size

Reaction score
they didn't rise to well,but I think it is because there a bit thin , the next time they will be thicker and smaller :)

am i in scone range Becky or not ? lol

006.JPG

Reaction score
and I used margarine instead of shortening this time ,wow they do taste good,now if I only had some gravy :)

Reaction score
they didn't rise to well,but I think it is because there a bit thin , the next time they will be thicker and smaller :)

am i in scone range Becky or not ? lol

View attachment 635

AND I see you are lining the pan with foil? Which is something I do for pretty much anything I bake on a sheet pan or shallow pan. I hate doing dishes.

Do you also brush butter, margarine, or egg wash on top of your biscuits before you bake them? It helps keep the tops from burning or over baking.

Reaction score
Any biscuit I eat MUST be covered in bacon gravy!!!!!!

Sausage gravy is acceptable too.

picKy4x2J.jpg

Yes, a lot of carbs for a diabetic, but I only eat two biscuits. And its rare I ever eat this anymore....
although I could eat this every day!

Reaction score
I had never thought to use a can Chester,or I probably wouldn't have bought that set of biscuit cutters lol

I didn't brush the tops with butter,I used a whole stick of butter making them,so I thought that was enough

Reaction score
I had never thought to use a can Chester,or I probably wouldn't have bought that set of biscuit cutters lol

I didn't brush the tops with butter,I used a whole stick of butter making them,so I thought that was enough

My granny used Crisco for the dough, and brushed them with melted butter right out of the oven.

Damn, I want some bikkies now!!!!!

tumblr_n1x9fydLNf1qeridgo1_400.gif

Reaction score
I've been trying to stay away from good ole Crisco,supposedly butter or margarine is better for you ,supposedly and I haven't used good ole lard in many a year either :) I did make some of my own lard,way back when lol and it was awesome

when I say butter in recipes it is actually margarine that I'm using,unless it says unsalted ,if I can I adjust to less salt in the recipe ,other than that I will buy some unsalted butter,which means i should add that to the grocery list too

Ask a Question