Home made Biscuits

Reaction score
all i did was follow the recipe on a sack of self rising White Lilly flour and I substituted margarine for the shortening,i think that may be a tad healthier

I used a heaping 1/4 cup and chilled it in the freezer for around 30 minutes and sifted my flour while i was waiting and used a pastry cutter on the margarine just a bit and then used my hands to get it down to pea size and it worked great

Reaction score
I like how adventurous you are @justme4910, you aren't afraid to try out new things, or substitute something you have on hand for an ingredient you're missing. You definitely outweigh me in that category. I don't mind substituting, but I mostly do that when cooking, rather than baking. All of your biscuits have looked yummy, but your last batch (at least the last ones posted) look professional. Well done!!

Reaction score
they were the best i have made so far and it was off a recipe on the sack of flour :) I think I'm close to getting a technique down for them,I will have to go back and retry some of the other recipes and see if that helps them

chilling the margarine in the freezer and getting the pea size down, is what is working for me Diane

oooh and i have a set of biscuit cutters now too :)

Reaction score
they were the best i have made so far and it was off a recipe on the sack of flour :) I think I'm close to getting a technique down for them,I will have to go back and retry some of the other recipes and see if that helps them

chilling the margarine in the freezer and getting the pea size down, is what is working for me Diane

oooh and i have a set of biscuit cutters now too :)

You've worked hard to perfect your technique, you have reason to be proud. I had purchased a few biscuit cutters at a garage sale, but would like some official ones eventually. I was looking at the King Arthur Flour catalogue and they have such nice things. I typically make drop biscuits and am considering making the cheese ones posted in another thread. I agree, getting the butter/margarine size down is an art, I practiced it the other day with the cheddar cheese quiche crust I made. I'd love to see your biscuit cutters. Mine look similar to cookie cutters, and they're a little banged up, but will do for now.

Reaction score
here is a picture of them,there not much,no handles

but they work well and I have way to many just for biscuits

i've made another batch of biscuits and I think I made them to big,they just weren't as good for some reason

it is probably Chester's fault some way :)

004.JPG
002.JPG

Ask a Question