How do you organize a baking session with a child?

Reaction score
Teaching a child to bake can be a challenge. Any parent knows they tend to lack patience and get fidgety. For me, to deal with these two issues, I do the following:

1. Pre- organize my goods.
2. Determine (in advance) what tasks they can handle.
3. Choose foods with short baking times

How do you organize a baking session with a child? .

Reaction score
I don't have any kids of my own. Though, when family comes over and bring there kids. You need to always be prepared and have a general idea of what you will be doing.

Just like you said in the simple list you posted. You need to make sure the food you are preparing is quick and relatively easy to make. Don't make something to hard that will frustrate them. Try to make baking fun and don't get mad if they add too much or two little. Just correct them joyfully and be prepared for how it taste!

Reaction score
I set my child up in a chair by the counter, but I don't set everything out, or he will be in it all the moment my back is turned for a second! I give him the bowl and a couple of spoons and get the ingredients out one at a time. This just works best for me, as I know my child!

Reaction score
I think your suggestions are good ones, especially setting out all the ingredients and mixing bowls before hand, which helps even without kids. I let my daughter only do certain things at this point that I know she can handle but that she also finds enjoyable. One of her favorite things is using the mixer, which allows me to clean up the mess and prepare for the next step while she's working on that. I also let her dump in ingredients after I have measured them, or let her add ingredients that don't require measurements. For me, letting the kids do a task here and there and take turns works the best. I don't think I would have the patience to have all my kids in the kitchen for the entire baking process, at least until they're older and my baking skills improve!

Reaction score
I don't have any kids of my own. Though, when family comes over and bring there kids. You need to always be prepared and have a general idea of what you will be doing.

Same here, but I have two 3-years godchildren who likes to come into my kitchen and they are always willing to help. I have given them so easy tasks far from the heat sources, and these tips for sure will help me out next time the come to visit.

Ask a Question