How to Fix Chemical Smell in Eggless Chocolate Cake

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to baking. Ive baked a good number of times now but I'm having difficulty with this particular recipe. Its an eggless chocolate cake by Priya from decoratedtreats.com. I'm particular on an eggless cake because my cousin is allergic to egg whites, so I really want to get this cake down. I've tried the recipe like 4 or 5 times now with improvements, but the cake seems to smell a bit like chemicals.

So the cake recipe is for two 7 inch cakes, but I multiplied the ingredients by 1.31 to cater for two 8 inch cakes. First I thought I might have left the vinegar with milk too long before mixing. But my last attempt I had each ingredient separated until mixing the cake. The cake seem to also took an extra 10+minutes.

I must say the cake does taste fine- its just i do notice the smell which I can't stand.

Any tips or ideas that would make a cake have such a smell?

Thanks

Reaction score
don't mix the vinegar with milk before anything, they both go in at the same time to avoid curdling the milk.
Let the cake gas off , don't wrap or sniff it until its completely cold.

Try this one.

Reaction score
Thank you Retired Baker.

I did that mistake two attempts ago, and since then my last attempt I made sure to separate the vinegar and milk until I was ready to mix the whole recipe. It still had some smell to the cake. I think leaving it out to gas off might be a good idea.

I will try out that recipe you posted soon, and will let you know how it goes. Right now I am attempting the cheesecake from sallys baking addiction.

Thank you again!

Ask a Question