How to Make Jamaican Appleton Rum and Lemon Meringue Cake

Have you tried Jamaican Appleton Rum and Lemon Meringue Cake before?

• Yes, I have and it was delicious.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I haven't but I would love too.

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
This cake can be time consuming but it's definitely worth the effort. You can substitute Appleton Rum with any dark rum you have on hand. If you're going to add dried fruits (such as currants or raisins) to it then I suggest that you soak them first in dark rum for some days or weeks before using them. In Jamaica, we like to soak dried fruits in dark or white rum for at least 6 months before using them for baking.

The recipe is a combination of lemon sponge cake, lemon curd, citron syrup with meringue icing. Here's the recipe:
Lemon Sponge Cake
Ingredients:
4 large eggs separated
¾ cup granulated sugar
1 lemon zest
½ tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup flour
½ cup cornstarch
Lemon Curd
Ingredients:
6 egg yolks
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup lemon juice
¼ cup unsalted butter
Citron Syrup
½ cup sugar
½ cup Appleton V/X Rum
Meringue Icing
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
2 tbsp. corn syrup
¼ cup cold water
3 egg whites
1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
1 tbsp. hot water
1 tbsp. lemon juice
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. cream of tartar
Method for Making Lemon Sponge Cake:
1. To make lemon sponge cake, preheat oven to 350° F and lightly grease and line the bottom of a 9-inch spring form pan lined with waxed paper and set aside.
2. In a bowl fitted with an electric mixer to whip egg yolks, ¼ cup of the sugar, lemon zest and vanilla on medium-high speed until thick and almost double in volume. Gradually place another ¼ cup of sugar before beating again on medium-high speed.
3. In a clean bowl, whip the egg whites on medium speed until frothy.
4. Gradually add the remaining ¼ cup of sugar, and whip on high speed until stiff peaks form when mixer is lifted away from mixture.
5. Fold the egg whites lightly with a rubber spatula into the egg yolk mixture then sift half of cup of flour along with the cornstarch into the egg mixture and gently fold with rubber spatula.
6. Pour the batter into prepared pan and bake for twenty minutes, before turning cake 180 degrees and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes.
7. Remove cake from oven to cool on wire rack.
Method for Making Lemon Curd:
1. In a stainless steel bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, and lemon juice.
2. Place steel bowl over pot of simmering water on stove and whisk until thickened before removing from heat, and whisking in the butter.
3. Cover with plastic wrap and press down against the surface before placing in refrigerator to cool.

Method for Making Citron Syrup:
1. In a sauce pan, combine sugar and rum, then gently heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves. Turn off heat.
Instructions for Assembling Cake:
1. Slice cake into three horizontal layers.
2. Place the top layer of the cake in the bottom of a spring form pan and brush with ¼ of the citron syrup.
3. Spread one cup of lemon curd on top and smooth evenly with spatula.
4. Repeat with the remaining two cake layers, citron syrup, and lemon curd respectively.
5. Wrap with plastic and refrigerate while making the meringue icing.
Method for Making Meringue Icing:
1. In a saucepan, combine sugar and cold water. Bring to a boil while stirring until sugar dissolves.
2. Boil, uncovered, until sugar reaches the soft ball stage then remove from the heat. (The soft ball stage occurs between 235-245 °F. It’s called the soft ball stage because when you drop a spoonful of hot syrup into a bowl of very cold water, and you use your fingers to gather the syrup into a ball, it forms a ball while in the water, but it flattens when it is removed. You can use a thermometer to check temperature.)
3. In a large bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt with an electric mixer until frothy. While the machine is running, slowly pour the syrup down the sides of the bowl into the whites, while being very careful not to pour syrup into the moving wire whisk.
4. When all the syrup has been added, add the vanilla and continue beating until the mixture is cooled, and is fluffy for about three minutes. Add lemon juice and hot water, before setting aside.
5. Remove cake from refrigerator and unwrap.
6. Remove the sides of the pan, and spread icing in a thin layer over the sides and top of cake.
7. Put the remaining icing into a pastry bag with a star tip and decoratively pipe rosettes on top of the cake.
8. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
9. Brown meringue lightly with blowtorch prior to serving.

Reaction score
Oh my goodness this sounds incredible! I love Appleton rum, it's one of my favourites. Do you have a photo of the cake?

Reaction score
Oh my goodness this sounds incredible! I love Appleton rum, it's one of my favourites. Do you have a photo of the cake?
Yes but I don't have a recent photo of the cake. Here's one from flickr.com:

Attachments

• appleton rum and lemon meringue cake.JPG
    appleton rum and lemon meringue cake.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 592
Reaction score
Jodiann, do you have any recipes for cookies special to Jamaica or the rest of the Caribbean? I want to try cookie recipes from around the world!

Reaction score
This looks and sounds incredible. I am almost too scared to try it though. Looks like a formidable project. Do you have any slightly simpler recipes that flavor the rum?

Reaction score
I wonder if the rum bakes out or if you can still get good rum flavor even after it comes put of the oven. Still it sounds amazing.

Ask a Question