Irish soda bread

Reaction score
I am going to attempt to make Irish soda bread today. I have always been fascinated by it and a couple of days ago, I saw a cooking show where it was made and it looked so good. I plan to serve it with shepard's pie. Has anyone made Irish soda bread before, and if so; how did it turn out??

Reaction score
I love irish soda bread and make it every year for Saint Paddy's day. The first time I made this bread was when I was in high school and had to present at a culture fair. My presentation was on Ireland and I made bread samples for everyone.

Reaction score
I am going to attempt to make Irish soda bread today. I have always been fascinated by it and a couple of days ago, I saw a cooking show where it was made and it looked so good. I plan to serve it with shepard's pie. Has anyone made Irish soda bread before, and if so; how did it turn out??

Irish soda bread is fantastic! You need to work quickly with it as the bicarb and buttermilk will start to react to one another quickly. But it is glorious to eat with just about anything really. I love it with some butter and jam and nice cup of tea. :)

I love irish soda bread and make it every year for Saint Paddy's day. The first time I made this bread was when I was in high school and had to present at a culture fair. My presentation was on Ireland and I made bread samples for everyone.

I'm impressed that you got into making it so early, Tina! Some people have been trying for a long time, and till can't get it just so. :)

Reaction score
Unfortunately I have never had irish soda bread..this is new to me. I wonder how it taste, I am going to see if it's at the bakery the next time i stop by.

Reaction score
i finally got my Irish Soda bread made today. It has a wonderful crunchy crust on it and reminds me a bit of biscuits in it's texture. I had a piece righ ou of the oven and it was so good. I am going to toast some in the morning and have it with butter and strawberry jam on it along with a big mug of coffee. I was surprised at how much it rose in the oven with just the baking soda and baking powder,,, it more than doubled in size.

Reaction score
I love a good Irish Soda bread, but I haven't made it...there are so many things on my ever-expanding list of "to bake soon" lol. Good to know that it's quite prone to rising ;).

Ask a Question