Is baking from scratch cheaper?

Reaction score
Ive noticed that the price of wheat and sugar keeps going up and up. The prices of things are getting out of control. You can still get a loaf of bread for $1 though. It makes me wonder what is in it.

It is cheaper to make things from scratch anymore?

Reaction score
It's not cheaper to buy all the ingredients for one loaf of bread, but it becomes cheaper when you make many loaves of bread.

For example, a bag of flour might cost $3 which is more than a $1 loaf of bread, but you can get several loaves of bread from that one bag of flour.
So even though you pay more up front for the ingredients, you can get a lot of baked goods out of those ingredients so the cost evens out.
A 5 pound bag of flour at Walmart is stupid cheap and goes a long way.

Reaction score
I have to agree with ACSAPA. The bag of flour will make much more than the loaf of bread will offer. I like buying in bulk when I can. If you cannot afford to buy in bulk or if you don't have the room for all of it perhaps you could team up with someone and split the costs and the groceries. My Mama & I have done this several times. We split the costs of the Sam's Club membership and then we buy what we need in bulk and split the items between ourselves. This has worked out well for us in the past.

Reaction score
Actually baking from scratch will be more expensive I believe. The cost of ingredients is quite high. If possible buy in bulk as it will be much more cheaper. Baking from scratch will taste better and nicer as you put in your sweat in baking and you will be amazed after the whole process of baking.

Reaction score
We are also finding that it is working out slightly more expensive but the main argument we use against that, is you know exactly what you are putting into the foods and you aren't 'shoving it full of preservatives and excess salt' etc.

Reaction score
While it's true you can get cheap bread and some other baked goods, you have to consider quality as well. Homemade bread tastes and smells amazing, store bought not so much. Also, it's weird how store bought bread doesn't go stale as quickly. Maybe that's a good thing, and maybe not.

Reaction score
In my experience, buying all the ingredients can initially be quite expensive (although you can get some good bargains, especially if you're willing to forgo the branded stuff!), but it pays off in time as most ingredients last for ages - you can usually get about 4 or 5 baking sessions per bag of sugar, and slightly more from flour. Even if it does work out more expensive, it's definitely more satisfying to eat something you made with your own two hands!

Reaction score
It can be more expensive,it all depends on what you are baking and how much you going to bake. If you are going to bake one loaf of bread then it would be cheaper to just buy it, although bread from scratch is fresher and taste better, so it depends on your taste, some might not mind paying more for homemade.

Reaction score
Here, it is definitely cheaper to make your own. If we want anything how we are used to having it, it's imported.

Regardless, here, having to make your own is cheaper than buying the local version. By rough conversion, a kilo of flour is $1.30 and sugar is $1.40 etc. I think a kilo of salt cost $0.64 the other day.

Plus knowing we can get what we want and as sweet as we want it is by far worth any extra expense it may cost.

Ask a Question