Jello Cake

Reaction score
Has anyone made Jello cake? I can remember my stepmom making it when I was a kid. If I recall correctly, it is simply a white cake mix, with added liquid Jello (usually red or cherry). When it is cooled, whipped cream is put on top instead of frosting. Although I haven't had this in years, I am looking for an alternative. I want to make something a little different than the norm. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Hi,
Ah,, the old poke cake! Memories...

I have used Dulce de Leche to pour over poked yellow cake. yum!
And I have used this mixture for carrot, spice and red velvet cakes:
  • 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
  • ½ cup powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Start pokin'!!:)

Reaction score
Typical jello cake is you take you white or yellow cake, poke holes in it, pour the jello over it and let it soak in, refrigerate to firm then frost with whipped cream. Super easy, and currently not in vogue. Sounds like a great way to have something unique for the kids that might bring back a bunch of memories for the adults.

Reaction score
I've never heard of jello cake before, but it sounds like fun! I think it would make a lovely dessert cake, or a fun centre piece at a kid's party.

I like monkeyboots' idea of puring Dulce de Leche over it too - sounds like a very 'naughty' cake, but definitely yummy!!!

Reaction score
Yes, the kids have never had it. I am 41 years old, I don't care what is en vogue, lol. I like what I like. Has anyone used anything besides red Jell-O? The only Jell-O cakes I have ever seen are cherry, raspberry, or strawberry-flavored. My wife suggested grape (purple), but I am not sure it would taste as good, or look as aesthetically appeasing.

Reaction score
Yes, I remeber this recipe it is sometimes called a poke cake because you take a fork and poke holes for the jello to be poured. I f you can find pineapple jello I would give that a try , peach would also be a fun thing to use.

Reaction score
Yes, I have heard it called "poke cake" too. Pineapple Jell-O actually sounds really delicious for a cake option. Something tells me that that flavor was discontinued by the Jell-O company. I am not a big peach fan, especially artificial peach. But lemon or lime Jell-O might not be too bad. I am still looking for other ideas, to anyone who comes to this thread later.

Reaction score
NThomas, we made the Jell-O cake last night, and I was wrong. They do still make pineapple Jell-O. One package didn't make the full-sized white cake very flavorful. There was a hint of pineapple. We were thinking if we made it again we would either use two packages, or put pineapple chunks into the whipped cream topping.

Reaction score
Typical jello cake is you take you white or yellow cake, poke holes in it, pour the jello over it and let it soak in, refrigerate to firm then frost with whipped cream. Super easy, and currently not in vogue. Sounds like a great way to have something unique for the kids that might bring back a bunch of memories for the adults.

Yummy! This is the very first time I hear about it! I'd make my own jello tho, I don't trust the jello that is ready to use, because most of the time acesulfame K is used as a sweetener. So maybe is I get the flavorless grenetin and use some actual fruit juice I can make a really nice jello mix for poke cake. Do you think it would work?

Reaction score
Hi,
Ah,, the old poke cake! Memories...

I have used Dulce de Leche to pour over poked yellow cake. yum!
And I have used this mixture for carrot, spice and red velvet cakes:
  • 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
  • ½ cup powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Start pokin'!!:)

Yummy, that sounds delicious and it really reminds me of ''pastel de tres leches'', but I bet it is much less wet, right? Because the pastel de tres leches seems to be a little too wet and sweet for me and my mom. So I guess we could give this one mix a try :)

Ask a Question