Troubleshooting a Noisy KitchenAid Mixer

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just bought a second hand KitchenAid and when I was first using it this morning it was shaking a lot. I found many people saying to adjust the screw which I did. The shaking got a little better however now it's making this loud noise and can't handle mixing dough it get's stuck.
Here is a video for sound - https://streamable.com/i6j7if

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just bought a second hand KitchenAid and when I was first using it this morning it was shaking a lot. I found many people saying to adjust the screw which I did. The shaking got a little better however now it's making this loud noise and can't handle mixing dough it get's stuck.

that definitely doesn’t sound normal and it’s probably the gear. Too often people over use their mixers, mixing heavy bread dough in the KitchenAid and strip out the nylon gear. Planetary mixers are not designed for heavy dough.

whenever you purchase used equipment you should always try it out before you buy it. If the seller is not willing to run it through a demonstration, don’t buy it. I own two KitchenAid mixers, one of which is 20 years old. They’re very good mixers when properly used and maintained.

Reaction score
No pic shown, but I heard the loud noise. Dump it & go buy something else!! Sounds like a noisy engine starting!

Reaction score
you can replace the gear yourself. There are videos online. also repacking the grease. just make sure you use the correct type of grease because it’s has to be for food use. you don’t need to dump the machine. it’s repairable. if you don’t want to do the work yourself, you will have to take it to a shop for repair. But the the cost is such you should have just purchased an new machine.

Reaction score
Thanks guys I did some research and a lot of people say the gear is the first thing to go in these machines. I've never owned one before and I guess was a little too eager with the dough. I'll try the to replace and let you know how I go :)

Reaction score
Get a Globe sp05. It's a great commercial machine!! Buy quality once, or buy junk forever!! I got away from KA because I do not like the way that they are made now!!
SP5.png

Reaction score
Thanks guys I did some research and a lot of people say the gear is the first thing to go in these machines. I've never owned one before and I guess was a little too eager with the dough. I'll try the to replace and let you know how I go :)

Sounds like it lost a tooth, Just fix it, they're simple to work on. Youtube is full of videos.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Read the thread I posted on the design flaws and what you can do to fix them in your KitchenAid stand mixer. It's all you need to know. For all the nay-sayers out there, the design of the KitchenAid stand mixer is just FINE. Their problems are intentional but easily mitigated.

Reaction score
Steel or metal gears are far better than plastic!!:)

The gears in my KitchenAid mixer (Pro 5 Plus) are all metal.

And the grease in the transmission is now a proper synthetic food-grade grease.

And all the motor/transmission assembly screws are all LOCTITED.

This is the secret to the KitchenAid mixer, folks.

Get a Pro-line (lift bowl / metal gear) model. Don't even LOOK at the tilt-head models.

Take it out of the box.

Take it apart before you even use it.

Clean the old grease out. Put new synthetic food-grade grease in. Loctite all the screws.

It'll last 20 years.

And yes, I use mine almost EXCLUSIVELY for bread and pizza dough. It powers through it like it's NOTHING.

Ask a Question