Kneading With A Mixer Or By Hand?

Reaction score
I am looking to possibly get my own Kitchenaid Mixer. I don't know why I had held off so long getting one of these things, but I've paired down some of my other appliances that I don't really use (good by Jack LaLane Juicer) and I have space for one now.

What I would really like to start making more often is homemade pizza, more including the dough. I've tried it on occasion without much success, making it by hand on my counter. It was pretty messy, flour got all over the place, and the dough just didn't have that toothiness you get from pizza joint pizza crusts. I know part of the problem is I wasn't using bread flour, I was using all purpose. So the dough had more of a biscuit like quality instead of stretchy and chewy.

However, one other thing I wasn't certain about is the kneading. Does that kneading attachment on the mixer actually get the job done properly, or do you still think it's better to knead by hand? Part of the appeal of a mixer right now is to not make such a mess trying to knead it loosely on my counter.

Reaction score
A mixer is better for your hands and you're less likely to get injuries over time by wearing away your muscles by kneading. But then a mixer would take away the fun and satisfaction from kneading by hand.

Reaction score
I have never used a mixer for kneading. I love to knead dough I find it very soothing to be able to zone out and work my dough. If you are having a bad day there is nothing more satisfying than to take out you frustrations on your dough and relieve some stress. Try introducing children to dough. They will have as much fun kneading pizza dough as they do playing with modeling clay. No I have never used a mixer to knead my dough , I have no reason to do so.

Reaction score
I've never used a mixer for kneading but it sure would make things easier if I did it all the time. The fact is, I don't mind kneading dough but I don't do it very often. Besides I wouldn't have room for a big mixer.

Reaction score
I have never used a mixer for kneading. I love to knead dough I find it very soothing to be able to zone out and work my dough. If you are having a bad day there is nothing more satisfying than to take out you frustrations on your dough and relieve some stress.

Hah, I hadn't consciously thought of it as stress relief, but it totally is!

"Take that dough!"

Reaction score
I ran out of bread today and I was feeling stressed so I decided to make some bread today and took all my frustraion out on it. It helped alot, I dont htink I would have had the same satisifcation kneading it by machine. Oh and the bread baked wonderfully too lol

Reaction score
I prefer the hands on, but you are right it does take some muscle and tolerance for the mess. As to your pizza crust, I have found some markets that sell dough (not crusts) and they come in traditional or garlic or rosemary. I freeze some for convenience and when I need (not knead) them I thaw em out, work them by hand and get a surprising good pizza. Great for last minute or when you don't want to go out for ingredients.

Reaction score
Whenever I have had homemade pizza, store-bought dough has been used. Sometimes I'll just make pizza on french bread, and be done with it. As someone else here said, I think that if you have the muscle for it, then hand kneading is a good way to go. I have not made any homemade pizza dough yet, but from the sounds of things around here, it does sound like a good way to work out a few frustrations, lol.

I think the best thing to do is to try both approaches, kneading by hand and by mixer, and see which one tastes the best to you.

Reaction score
I much prefer kneading by hand, but I don't do it very often so that makes a difference.

I have a friend who loves baking but has joint problems. She still does it by hand sometimes, but less often.

A good guide for those with RSI or similar problems;

http://eastcourtmanor.co.uk/kneading-bread-with-arthritis-or-rsi/

Me too. I enjoy kneading bread dough by hand, but I don't do it regularly enough to injure myself.
If I was going to make bread often enough to cause strain on my muscles, then I would buy a mixer or bread machine.

Reaction score
I prefer to knead my bread by hand, but that's only because I have a fun time doing it. I've used mixers, and I think the bread comes out just as nice, I just like the process of kneading with my hands better. I really think it depends on what you prefer. Mixers are definitely quicker and more convenient, but I just like to stick to the old-fashioned hand kneading!

Reaction score
I prefer to knead my bread by hand, but that's only because I have a fun time doing it. I've used mixers, and I think the bread comes out just as nice, I just like the process of kneading with my hands better. I really think it depends on what you prefer. Mixers are definitely quicker and more convenient, but I just like to stick to the old-fashioned hand kneading!

I definitely agree that it's kind of fun to knead bread by hand. I didn't know that people could injure themselves by kneading bread but I guess if you have arthritis, or if you knead bread often enough to strain yourself, that could be a serious problem.

Reaction score
I ran out of bread today and I was feeling stressed so I decided to make some bread today and took all my frustraion out on it. It helped alot, I dont htink I would have had the same satisifcation kneading it by machine. Oh and the bread baked wonderfully too lol

That's a wonderful idea of getting your stress out in a positive way :) I do it a couple of times as well when I get frustrated with life sometimes... meh!! And amazingly on that particular day the food tends to be better that on regular days ;)
Coming back to the original questions-- i'd prefer my hands over the mixer unless I need to be fast and clean.

Reaction score
I agree that kneading by hand has always been a stress-reliever for me. I enjoy getting my hands into the dough and getting a "feel" for the texture. I have been doing it for so long that I can tell this way when it is ready to start rising. I do have a Kitchenaid mixer and have used it for kneading when I was in a hurry or trying to "multitask". It does a good job, but I miss the "hands-on" satisfaction.

Reaction score
I've used a mixer in the past a couple of times, but I really much prefer kneading it by hand. I find it's a great way to work out your aggression, so is a good stress-reliever. I also find that taking the mixer apart to clean it after kneading the dough is more hassle than it's worth. I much prefer the traditional way!

Reaction score
I haven't got a mixer so I knead by hand. It seems to take forever, along with plenty of muscle ache. I even received a blister once! :(

I am still unsure that I am doing it right but I will learn properly one day o_O

Reaction score
I am looking to possibly get my own Kitchenaid Mixer. I don't know why I had held off so long getting one of these things, but I've paired down some of my other appliances that I don't really use (good by Jack LaLane Juicer) and I have space for one now.

What I would really like to start making more often is homemade pizza, more including the dough. I've tried it on occasion without much success, making it by hand on my counter. It was pretty messy, flour got all over the place, and the dough just didn't have that toothiness you get from pizza joint pizza crusts. I know part of the problem is I wasn't using bread flour, I was using all purpose. So the dough had more of a biscuit like quality instead of stretchy and chewy.

However, one other thing I wasn't certain about is the kneading. Does that kneading attachment on the mixer actually get the job done properly, or do you still think it's better to knead by hand? Part of the appeal of a mixer right now is to not make such a mess trying to knead it loosely on my counter.

The Ninja blender with the dough blade is great for making bread. The Ninja comes with a pizza dough recipe but you can make just about any kind of dough with it. You just have to mix the wet ingredients first but it works very well. There is no need to knead.:)

Ask a Question