Large cakes

Discussion in 'Disaster Help' started by kirsty macaulay, May 4, 2018.

1. kirsty macaulay

kirsty macaulay New Member

His everyone, I'm looking for advice and tips on making large maderia cakes for birthdays etc. I have trouble in the cooking process because of the size. They cook too much on the outside and not enough in the middle. I don't know if its the recipe that needs altered or the temperature. Any help/tips would be really appreciated. I'm getting better at the design but what's the point if it doesn't taste great.

kirsty macaulay, May 4, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. kirsty macaulay

Becky Administrator

Welcome to the forum :)

Sounds like you need to adjust your temperature and cooking time. Try baking the cake at a lower temperature for a longer period of time, and if it looks like it's browning too quickly on the outside still then you could wrap it in a folded layer of baking paper - this will insulate the sides but allow the heat to reach the middle.

Becky, May 4, 2018
    Norcalbaker59 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. kirsty macaulay

kirsty macaulay New Member

Thanks, I'll give that a try x

kirsty macaulay, May 4, 2018
    Becky likes this.
  4. kirsty macaulay

Norcalbaker59 Well-Known Member

In addition to baking at a lower temperature, large and cakes higher than 2” bake better when a heating core or rod is used.

Heating cores work on the same principle of a tube pan in that the metal core radiates heat into the batter from the center as the pan edge heats the batter from the outside.

A core will leave a center hole. But some cores are designed to hold batter. After baking, use what’s baked in the core to plug the hole. See link below.

A heating rod is much thinner, so the whole doesn’t need to be plugged.

Depending on the size of the cake, you can use a flower nail as a heating rod.

http://fatdaddios.com/help/using-heating-core-or-heating-rod

Norcalbaker59, May 4, 2018
    Becky likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question