Large cakes

Reaction score
His everyone, I'm looking for advice and tips on making large maderia cakes for birthdays etc. I have trouble in the cooking process because of the size. They cook too much on the outside and not enough in the middle. I don't know if its the recipe that needs altered or the temperature. Any help/tips would be really appreciated. I'm getting better at the design but what's the point if it doesn't taste great.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum :)

Sounds like you need to adjust your temperature and cooking time. Try baking the cake at a lower temperature for a longer period of time, and if it looks like it's browning too quickly on the outside still then you could wrap it in a folded layer of baking paper - this will insulate the sides but allow the heat to reach the middle.

Reaction score
In addition to baking at a lower temperature, large and cakes higher than 2” bake better when a heating core or rod is used.

Heating cores work on the same principle of a tube pan in that the metal core radiates heat into the batter from the center as the pan edge heats the batter from the outside.

A core will leave a center hole. But some cores are designed to hold batter. After baking, use what’s baked in the core to plug the hole. See link below.

A heating rod is much thinner, so the whole doesn’t need to be plugged.

Depending on the size of the cake, you can use a flower nail as a heating rod.

http://fatdaddios.com/help/using-heating-core-or-heating-rod

Ask a Question