Making the Icing

Reaction score
I often end up buying the cake icing already made up. This is because it seems to take a lifetime to make it myself. Has anyone got any tips for making the cake icing with ease? I either make it too runny or too thick!

Reaction score
What type of icing are you making? I actually think buttercream frosting is a simple thing to go. If you make sure to sift your powdered sugar to avoid lumps, and just add a tablespoon of milk at a time you can work it to the consistency you want pretty easily.

Hopefully Soliloquy will jump in here...if she's planning to create a book about frosting she certainly will have some tips for you!

Reaction score
For birthday cakes I normally make sugar icing. I end up buying so many packets and messing it up! I always end up down my local cake making supply store! They sell the icing in so many colors, and I can just roll it straight out. I bought some lovely lilac icing the last time I was there. I know this is cheating though and wish I that I was good at making it! Thank you for your advice :)

Reaction score
For birthday cakes I normally make sugar icing. I end up buying so many packets and messing it up! I always end up down my local cake making supply store! They sell the icing in so many colors, and I can just roll it straight out. I bought some lovely lilac icing the last time I was there. I know this is cheating though and wish I that I was good at making it! Thank you for your advice :)

Sorry.... You said "icing" and I made a suggestion for "frosting". I don't make icing very often, so I'm no expert. I just watched a video at allrecipes.com, though, and they suggest if it's too thick adding more corn syrup. (They didn't make a suggestion for if it's too runny but logically I'd say add a bit more powdered sugar.) Even though I don't usually make icing (I make buttercream frosting to frost cakes and cut-out cookies, since I love the flavor.) I really like the looks of cut-out cookies with the shiny, bright icing on them.

Maybe it's just me, because I've never though making frosting was all that hard, although I've had other people act like I'm magic or something. But I think you can easily do this if you just give yourself a bit of time to practice. Of course, if you're happy with what you can get at the store, you won't have the incentive. I'm not one to work too hard on perfecting a recipe in my cooking (more patience with baking) so I can understand that.

Reaction score
Could you share the recipe(s) you're using? But as a general rule, a lot of people end up with runny icing because they don't beat/whisk it long enough before adding more liquid. It takes a while for all that powdered sugar to be absorbed, and it's a dry sugary mess before that, so people think they must not have enough liquid. They add more and poof, runny icing.

Another thing you might try is creaming the butter | cream cheese | shortening with the sugar and any other dry ingredients before adding any liquid (milk, water, flavoring, etc.) Then add the liquid very gradually until you get the consistency you want. And if it's still too thick, add more flavoring a few drops at a time.

Reaction score
I normally buy the powdered icing in a packet, and then mix it with water. All your ideas and suggestions are great so I will try these! It's always tempting to run to the shop but I'm determined to master this!

Reaction score
I normally buy the powdered icing in a packet, and then mix it with water. All your ideas and suggestions are great so I will try these! It's always tempting to run to the shop but I'm determined to master this!

Maybe I mastered it because for ME running to the store is a pain. I hate it when I'm cooking and realize I forgot to lay in a part of the supplies!!

Reaction score
I do have a lot of local shops to buy the icing from, so maybe I would of mastered it if that were not so! I think the packet icing is idea if you are short on time and can only bake the sponge part. You can still be creative when you decorate the final piece. I will keep trying till I become an expert. ;)

Ask a Question