Mirror cake

Col

Reaction score
hi guys I hope someone can help

I am trying to make a mirror cake (as seen on YouTube)
(Strawberry Chocolate Mirror Cake)

I am struggling with the part where the melted chocolate is added to the whipped (whipping cream). I have tried it twice and on both occasions it has split. Would using double cream be any better? Any advice would be gratefully received. Many thanks

Reaction score
hi guys I hope someone can help

I am trying to make a mirror cake (as seen on YouTube)
(Strawberry Chocolate Mirror Cake)

I am struggling with the part where the melted chocolate is added to the whipped (whipping cream). I have tried it twice and on both occasions it has split. Would using double cream be any better? Any advice would be gratefully received. Many thanks

Welcome to the forum. Not knowing the recipe I’m not sure of what you are making. Since you’re adding cream to melted chocolate I’m assuming you’re making a mousse?

With mousse, lower fat content is need. So less than 35% fat in the cream.

The type of chocolate is also a factor. White chocolate and milk chocolate have milk solids. So they respond differently. They are both more sensitive to heat. White chocolate is notorious for separating in moose and ganache applications.

Check with the manufacturer for their recommendations on using their chocolate in mousse and ganache. While mixing methods for most dark chocolate is universal, the same cannot be said for white and milk chocolate. So it’s best to check with the manufacturer for their mixing recommendations in these types of applications. Personally I find when it comes to white chocolate the quality matters significantly. I only use Valrhona white chocolate for ganache and mousse. I find other brands separate into a greasy mess.

Reaction score
I think my next cake will have a mirror glaze... I really want to try it (although only having powdered gelatine makes it really hard, as most recipes seem to use gelatine sheets?)

Reaction score
I am having the same issue that most recipes have sheet gelatin to use, I bought agar powder to try it and I will post the outcome... wish me luck lol
Apparently it's possible to calculate how much you need using the blooming level (?) of the powder or the sheets - but the powder I boguht doesn't have this on the side :(

I'll be learning by trial and error

Reaction score
Apparently it's possible to calculate how much you need using the blooming level (?) of the powder or the sheets - but the powder I bought doesn't have this on the side :(

I'll be learning by trial and error

She has a good Mirror Glaze recipe using the "Powder" gelatin

Ask a Question