Mirror Glaze

Reaction score
i want to make a two tier mirror glazed cake. I have not been able to find one on the web. Also wondering if these stay tacky or harden up.

Reaction score
i want to make a two tier mirror glazed cake. I have not been able to find one on the web. Also wondering if these stay tacky or harden up.

How it sets depends on the amount of gelatin, the quality of the gelatin, and the strength of the gelatin. Mirror glaze is nothing new. It's been a standard in French patisserie for ages. Europeans and professional kitchens use sheet gelatin, which is superior to the granular gelatin sold in American grocery stores.

Sheet gelatin is made in three different strengths based on bloom strength

Bloom strength:
  • Bronze: 125-135
  • Silver: 160
  • Gold: 190-220
  • Platinum: 235-265

Given the difference in bloom strength, the sheets are different weights.
  • Bronze: 3.3g
  • Silver 2.5g - this is the one I use
  • Gold: 2.0g
  • Platinum: 1.7g
For a light gel effect, use .60 of your liquid weight

For a solid gel effect, go as high as 1.70 of your liquid weight.

The general guideline is to start at 1.00 of your liquid weight.

Since there's no standard for granular gelatin it's anyone's guess as to its strength. And there's no guidelines for gelatin to liquid ratios.

Aside from standardized gelling ability, the other benefit of sheet gelatin is it is clear. Granular gelatin has a cloudiness to it. So depending on the application the granular gelatin can actually mar the look of your finished product.

Sheet gelatin is available at restaurant supply stores or online. Modernist Pantry carries it. They are a ligit online retailer even though their website is very bare bones. They are on the opposite side of the country from me, but when I purchase from them, orders are shipped and delivered within the week. I just purchased some ingredients from them this week.

Ask a Question