Most flavor-rich baked good you've ever had?

Reaction score
A friend of mine lives in the sugar-producing province of my country, and came back to the capital last week with her town's specialty: butterscotch brownies. They're small, but that's a good thing, because they kind of explode with flavor, and even though it's soft and fluffy, it's also thick, so I could chew it slowly for a long while.

I remember another traditional sort of treat like this, which uses both dates and walnuts (although I'm pretty sure that dates don't actually grow here...) called food for the gods.

They were usually served alongside butterscotch brownies during holiday parties, and I always went for the butterscotch brownies because I'm not one of the gods and the food for them is much, much too rich for me. When the proud host/baker would cajole me into trying out a really good batch, I'd just nibble at it little by little and it would be good but not pop-one-after-the-other-after-the-other good.

What's the most flavor-rich baked good that you've ever had?

Reaction score
When I was younger, i did not care for fruit cake although as I have gotten older I have developed a taste for it. I used to make a " fruit cake " that was mae with candied orange slice candies that you cut up in pieces along with pecans or walnuts, dates, and candied cherries. It was so good and had a strong flavor that just called your name!

Reaction score
A friend of mine lives in the sugar-producing province of my country, and came back to the capital last week with her town's specialty: butterscotch brownies. They're small, but that's a good thing, because they kind of explode with flavor, and even though it's soft and fluffy, it's also thick, so I could chew it slowly for a long while.

I remember another traditional sort of treat like this, which uses both dates and walnuts (although I'm pretty sure that dates don't actually grow here...) called food for the gods.

They were usually served alongside butterscotch brownies during holiday parties, and I always went for the butterscotch brownies because I'm not one of the gods and the food for them is much, much too rich for me. When the proud host/baker would cajole me into trying out a really good batch, I'd just nibble at it little by little and it would be good but not pop-one-after-the-other-after-the-other good.

What's the most flavor-rich baked good that you've ever had?

Those butterscotch brownies sound amazing - I am a lover of brownies, and all the variations and different recipes and flavorings too. I've never come across the 'food for the gods' though - they do sound rich, but I can see whey they'd be perfect for special occasions. I quite like the blog where the recipe is found too - some interesting reading there. Is it your blog, Ellyn?

When I was younger, i did not care for fruit cake although as I have gotten older I have developed a taste for it. I used to make a " fruit cake " that was mae with candied orange slice candies that you cut up in pieces along with pecans or walnuts, dates, and candied cherries. It was so good and had a strong flavor that just called your name!

I really enjoy fruit cake too, although I couldn't be bothered with it when I was in my 20s. I love experimenting with different fruit and nut combinations - yours sounds good, and I've never tried using pecans before.

This year I am going to have a go at making my own candied orange peel, as I find the stuff in the shops can be a bit bland.

Reaction score

Hi,
I looked up a Filipino recipe for Butterscotch Bars and they are the same rich squares of yumminess that I started baking when I was a kid. We called them Butterscotch Blondies and added butterscotch chips to them (to make them even richer :)).

Another SUPER flavorful treat is Magic Cookie Bars (or Hello Dollys or 7 Layer Bars, etc.)...so many flavors going on! So much tooth aching sweetness!

Reaction score
My sister bought a cake at the supermarket sometime ago by the name of Tortuga Rum Cake i am telling you it's one of the richest baked product i've ever taste...it's like the flavor is just kicking...when i say something taste divine that would be a slice of this cake...really yummy.

Reaction score
One of the extended family members made this extremely rich chocolate brownie with big chunks of chocolate mixed in. I am a huge fan of chocolate but I could only take a couple bites it was that sweet. I am n pot sure how she was able to make it that sweet.

Reaction score
The richest "Baked" good? I don't exactly know the name of it, since I was overseas and I didn't much speak their language.

But it was like a Chocolate Eclair donut pastry thing, but the fluffiness of a croissant and the fillings of the heavens themselves. I could also tell it was fresh and put on his stand after he opened up his shoppe for the morning, which is one of the best ways to eat pastries - still even was a bit warm.

I don't know the name to this day, but my good god my teeth hurt and I think I felt diabetes coming on after I ate it! haha! :D

Reaction score
It would have to be the honey cakes made for Christmas in Greece (Melomakarona) or the sticky toffee pudding with caramel sauce and served with whipped cream that you get in Yorkshire (UK).

The honey cakes take a couple of days to make and are similar to a shortbread that is not crisp but is soaked and I mean soaked in a honey syrup so that the entire cookie is honey laden as well as being a shortbread type cookie.

melomakarona_01.jpg

The sticky toffee pudding is exactly that. It is sticky, made with dates and toffee as a pudding, served hot with a sticky toffee sauce and often topped off with whipped cream., It is to die for and rather sweet and filling.

CA2961_StickyToffee_Pack-00036-1024x768.jpg

Reaction score
I remember eating the best carrot cake ever for my birthday number 20. It was very good, it was made by a woman who had a vegetarian restaurant. Man, hat woman knew how to bake. Also another great treat I can remember were the butter cookies my grandma used to make, they melted in my mouth! They were so rich and flavorful, not like the ones i now buy from the store when I feel the urge to have a nice treat.

Reaction score
Connie, those look so good but I literally can feel my teeth hurting me inside my mouth. Haha. You know they're flavor rich when you've never ate them and a picture has you grasping your mouth.

I want to try them.

Contradictions for the win.

Reaction score
Those do look good. I'm not sure of the most flavor rich baked good of all time, but I will say that I had some brownies not long ago that were incredible. They were made from scratch, from a secret recipe, and they were just oozing the tastes of butter and cocoa. I've never had better ones. Mmmm. Now, I want a brownie, lol.

Ask a Question