My biscuits are not soft enough :(

Reaction score
Hi all! I've a problem when I bake biscuits, because most of the times they are not as soft as they should (melting in your mouth). I thought at first that the main reason of this was the sugar type I was using, I changed it, but even tho the consistency improved... wasn't the same as my sister's! Could it be my recipe or maybe I'm baking for too long or too little?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Are you overworking the dough? You want to mix it just enough to get it clumped together, not so much that it's all smooth. Also, don't roll out the dough too perfectly and never re-roll. Scraps from the first rolling of the dough should be pushed together and formed into another biscuit shape by hand, not rolled and cut again. The squished-together biscuits will look a little uneven and pull apart weirdly, but they won't be as tough as if you rolled the dough again.

Reaction score
Are we talking about US biscuits here? If so they are similar to scones in the UK. My mum makes the most excellent scones, and like Soliloquy suggests you need to be really careful not to overwork the dough. I think another reason why Mum's scones are so tasty is that she has really cold hands which means the fat doesn't melt before baking!

Reaction score
Are you overworking the dough? You want to mix it just enough to get it clumped together, not so much that it's all smooth. Also, don't roll out the dough too perfectly and never re-roll. Scraps from the first rolling of the dough should be pushed together and formed into another biscuit shape by hand, not rolled and cut again. The squished-together biscuits will look a little uneven and pull apart weirdly, but they won't be as tough as if you rolled the dough again.

Hi Solil! I think that could be the reason my biscuits are not as soft as they should :( Now that I look back I realize that I might have been overworking the dough too much! Thanks for the super detailed and clear reply :D I'll make sure to do as you said next time I try.

Reaction score
Are we talking about US biscuits here? If so they are similar to scones in the UK. My mum makes the most excellent scones, and like Soliloquy suggests you need to be really careful not to overwork the dough. I think another reason why Mum's scones are so tasty is that she has really cold hands which means the fat doesn't melt before baking!

I was talking about bakery biscuits :) Here we call them just ''biscuits'', we don't call them cookies because the biscuits (according to us) are supposed to be way softer than the average cookie. I think I might be overworking the dough, as Solil just said.

Btw, I googled ''scones'' and wow! The place where I am from (originally) we know them under a totally different name ;)

Ask a Question