New here

Reaction score
Hello there, I am new to baking and want to learn everything I can about it. I'm starting with making my own bread for weekly consumption. I attempted to prepare a loaf of white bread but ended up with two enormous loaves that might have served as doorstops. I'm not sure what the problem was. I have several inquiries, such as what happens if you overknead bread dough. What happens if you don't knead it thoroughly enough? What effect does this have on the bread? I'm also considering making crackers and pretzels. I'm also seeking for baking ideas for SHTF survival circumstances. I have a lot of things I wish to study.

Reaction score
The most common cause of heavy, dense bread is using flour to need the dough.

I know every cookbook, every recipe, every blogger instructs the baker to add flour to the work surface. This is incorrect.

Read the response I wrote on this post.

Reaction score
Ok, thanks a lot, Norcalbaker59

Not sure what your needs are for survival circumstances are but whole grains in flour or whole berry form do not have a long shelf life. Whole wheat flour, rye flour, spelt fkour, rye berries, wheat berries, etc. only store for six months.

All-purpose flour wheat flour MAY be stored up to 12 months under controlled temperature and moisture conditions.

Four is milled from wheat. which is stored in silos. So it's exposed to insects and wildlife. there’s always some potential of insect contamination, rodent droppings. There’s also risk of molds developing from aftermarket storage conditions.

Flour is not is a long-term storage product, like some canned foods. This is a product that needs to be changed out every 6 months.

Ask a Question