New mixer

Reaction score
My KitchenAid mixer is about 18 years old. So I’ve been looking for a new mixer. But the prices for a new KitchenAids is pretty high. So I’ve been stalking the aisles of Home Goods. As discount store that buys overstock and merchandise from stores going out of business, it’s anyone’s guess what is going to be on the shelves on any given day. So last week they had 26 quart KitchenAid on the shelf. Priced at $250 USD. I hemmed and hawed and left the store. Sitting in my car decided to check online prices, and the same model was on KitchenAid’s website for $340. So I ran back into the discount store and bought the mixer.

C12FBE24-C777-4549-B45B-A9236EE3C3F0.jpeg

Reaction score
It’s funny I baked a couple of times since I bought the new mixer, but I used my old mixer:rolleyes:. With the holidays coming up I will be baking a lot. So I’ll definitely use the new mixer to make my Christmas cookies, orange cranberry bread and carrot orange bread.

I love that Home Goods store. I was looking for a new set of dishes since the ex-husband took the good every day china. I took the formal set of china, but it’s not something you want to use daily. So I had using a cheap set of stoneware that was pretty scratched and chipped up.

I was hosting a lunch for 10 guests so I really needed to find a decent set of every day dishes. I prefer pure white dishes because a simple change of linens and table decorations gives a whole new look to a table setting.

I found white Villeroy & Boch, a fine porcelain made in Germany, for a fraction of the retail price. On Villeroy’s website each piece sells for $25 - $27 USD. I paid $5 and $6 USD a piece. Villeroy & Boch rarely puts their basic white collections on sale, and when they do, not all the collections go on sale. I was so excited to see the Royal collection and at a fraction of the retail price. I had to go to three different Home Goods stores to purchase enough pieces for service for 20 (I have a big family). I purchased $2000 worth of bone china for $420.

Reaction score
I purchased $2000 worth of bone china for $420

Wow, that's incredible! Good work! :D I'm with you re white crockery, I love the plain simplicity of it. We don't have any 'best' dinner ware, we have white porcelain crockery that we use for everything. Like you say, with the right place setting it can look very elegant :)

Reaction score
Wow, that's incredible! Good work! :D I'm with you re white crockery, I love the plain simplicity of it. We don't have any 'best' dinner ware, we have white porcelain crockery that we use for everything. Like you say, with the right place setting it can look very elegant :)

I know this will sound crazy OCD, but another reason I love white is the color of the food on the plate will always match on white. Not so with a patterned plate. :D

Reaction score
@Becky, I love that Home Goods store! I’ve been looking around for a enamel dutch oven to bake bread. I’ve been using a baking steel with a stainless steel Dutch over placed over the bread, but that steel baked a bit too hot.

The Le Creuset has a plastic handle, so cannot go into an super hot oven. The Staub has a metal handle, but a black interior that I’m not crazy about. So I hesitated to buy it.

The other day I was in Home Goods killing time because there was a wedding at my place, when I saw an oval Le Creset with a grill top. So no plastic handle. And it was $140 less than it sells for on Le Creuset’s website.

I have some friends coming to brunch on December 4. So I’m thinking crab cake appetizers and a beef bourguignon. I’ve wanted to make a beef bourguignon for years. Now there’s no excuse.

Have you every made one? I’m not sure what type of beef cut would be best. I was reading Felicity Cloake’s recipe; she uses beef cheeks. As far as I know I’ve never eaten beef cheeks. But she makes a good case for it.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand.../09/how-to-cook-the-perfect-boeuf-bourguignon

257A804B-8911-46A5-A910-455E1EA49969.jpeg

Reaction score
Ooh I love it! That's such a gorgeous colour too :)

If you can get beef cheeks, they are a great cut for slow-cooking. I've made beef bourguignon a number of times, but I've not tried Cloake's recipe - it does look like a good one though. Shin beef also works well. You want to make sure the beef is cut into decent sized chunks, nothing too small, and I quite like marinating it in the wine overnight. It's also one of those dishes that gets better with time, so maybe make it the day before and then reheat it.

This is a recipe I've done with beef cheeks before and it was delicious (and great for a cold winter's night): https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/braised_beef_cheeks_with_50441

BTW I didn't follow his recipe for the mash. I'm sure it would be delicious, but I can't bring myself to use that much cream and butter!! :eek: :oops:

Reaction score
Ooh I love it! That's such a gorgeous colour too :)

If you can get beef cheeks, they are a great cut for slow-cooking. I've made beef bourguignon a number of times, but I've not tried Cloake's recipe - it does look like a good one though. Shin beef also works well. You want to make sure the beef is cut into decent sized chunks, nothing too small, and I quite like marinating it in the wine overnight. It's also one of those dishes that gets better with time, so maybe make it the day before and then reheat it.

This is a recipe I've done with beef cheeks before and it was delicious (and great for a cold winter's night): https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/braised_beef_cheeks_with_50441

BTW I didn't follow his recipe for the mash. I'm sure it would be delicious, but I can't bring myself to use that much cream and butter!! :eek: :oops:

This is helpful thank you @Becky . Wow, you're right, that mash recipe has a lot of butter and cream! The beef looks really good, I like that rich deep color.

I've been reading recipes and looked at Julia Child's original video. I've American style beef stew, but its nothing to write home about. Now that you mention the size of the meat chunks, I'm thinking the chewy meat problems I always had in the past was from cutting it too small. With larger pieces, you have more fat, so it doesn't break down and melt away as quickly.

After researching I'm thinking beef cheeks are the way to go. I looked at the grocery store in town last night, but they didn't have any. So I will probably have to go in the charcuterie in Napa to get them. I need some quality lard for tamale dough, so I have to make a trip there anyway.

I found some cippolini onions in the store, so I bought 1/2 lb to see how they caramelize. I like the shape better than the pearl onions.

Do you serve in a bowl or on a plate? What do you usually serve as a side dish? Sorry for all the questions. I'm way more a baker than a cook. All my friends and family are foodies, so we all worry about how the food we serve each other looks and tastes.:eek: Of course none of us would ever admit that we give so much thought to our dinner parties:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Do you serve in a bowl or on a plate? What do you usually serve as a side dish? Sorry for all the questions. I'm way more a baker than a cook. All my friends and family are foodies, so we all worry about how the food we serve each other looks and tastes.:eek: Of course none of us would ever admit that we give so much thought to our dinner parties:rolleyes:

I know exactly what you mean! I love the planning that goes into serving a meal for friends :)

I tend to serve things like beef bourguignon in pasta dishes - ie a big bowl with a rim. To be honest it doesn't necessarily need anything with it, but crusty bread is a good accompaniment. If you want to avoid bread then mashed potato is a good option too. Basically anything that soaks up the gravy/sauce is a good idea :D

Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean! I love the planning that goes into serving a meal for friends :)

I tend to serve things like beef bourguignon in pasta dishes - ie a big bowl with a rim. To be honest it doesn't necessarily need anything with it, but crusty bread is a good accompaniment. If you want to avoid bread then mashed potato is a good option too. Basically anything that soaks up the gravy/sauce is a good idea :D

Perfect. I'm really excited about making this dish. I love hearty comfort foods; beef bourguignon is all that plus it is elegant.

Ask a Question