Gluten-Free, Flour-Free Bread Substitute Recipe

Reaction score
Hii guys,

I was in Facebook earlier and I found this recipe for a gluten-free, flour-free bread substitute.

I saw them.. They sort of looked like Snack-a-jacks if anyone's seen them? But they're kind of like a savoury meringue; the photo made them look crispy or crunchy but they really aren't. (I just had to try them as soon as I saw them!!)

I've since lost the page they were on, but I remember the recipe:

3 eggs
100g cream cheese
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp baking powder.

Separate egg yolk from white and whip egg whites with salt until stiff (Like merinque.. so you can hold it upside down and it doesn't move.)
Mix the egg yolks, cream cheese and baking powder together well, then fold in the egg whites, trying to keep as much air as possible in them (I used a metal spoon for this).
Spoon 6(large) - 8(smaller) spoonfuls of the mixture onto a baking tray and bake for 25mins at 150°C until golden.

That's it! They're so simple to make : soft like fresh bread. They taste slightly eggy, but you can't taste the cheese at all.

Ideas I've had for variations - Using Philadelphia's new Chocolate Cream Cheese for dessert types? Making mini-pizzas, Garlic and chives? Adding any sort of seeds could make it interesting.. You can use them just like normal bread too; in sandwiches, for burgers, hotdogs, whatever your imagination can come up with.

Im wondeting if it's possible to toast them- I'll try it tomorrow and let you know :D

They're so versatile, I just had to share it with everyone :) Enjoy!

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of cream chess at all. Yeah, I realize I'm probably in a small minority. However, if you can't taste it in this recipe with it being the main ingredient, I might give this a try. I don't even know why I don't like cream cheese so this might be a way to revisit it because I love bread.

Reaction score
That is an incredible recipe, and it really does sound like it would be easy to make, and taste good as well. It would be low carb, too, so fine for people on that kind of regime.
It looks like you more dry them than actually bake them, since you only do it at a 125 oven. That would be a plus, since it would not heat up the house as much either.

Reaction score
It's quick and easy if you've run out of bread too, save running down the shop, before a picnic or something.. :)

I really couldn't taste the cheese, and I tried them with nothing on or extra in the mix.. If anything like that, because of the egg it was a little like a soft onelette, but whatever you add to it, sweet or savoury, would mask that somewhat. I put tomato, grated cheese and peppers on a couple yesterday evening as a sort of pizza thing. Yummy :D

I'd not really thought about the low carb aspect of it; that's a really good point. :)

Reaction score
That sounds really interesting, though I'm having a hard time seeing how that would have a bread like texture. It looks like something that would be worth a try though, it could be pretty versatile as a base for toppings and such.

Ask a Question