Re-baking crème-pâtissière/pastry cream in a tart/cake recipe that requires baking.

CLK

Reaction score
I teach culinary at a very rural, Texas high school. I am looking for a bavarian cream recipe that I can bake inside a butter braid. I am interested in the original poster’s comments, as well. I am having trouble finding a recipe I could bake inside a pastry. It also needs to be a little thicker (like a cream cheese filling would be) in order for it to hold its shape and not run out of the pastry. If you have any suggestions that could point me in the right direction, I would be grateful. Thank you.

Reaction score
Do you have a photo or link to share with your inspiration idea? Where did you come to learn of Bavarian cream inside of a butter braid?

CLK

Reaction score
They made blueberry cream cheese butter braids last week in class. They were amazing! They asked what other flavors we could make. Years ago, I had a bavarian cream butter braid I bought from a fundraiser. It was filled with bavarian cream and drizzled with chocolate. I tried to find a recipe for a bavarian cream you could bake inside a butter braid, but haven’t found one.

Attachments

• 7CE57FB3-0699-4A9C-855C-6B064AE83CCC.jpeg
    7CE57FB3-0699-4A9C-855C-6B064AE83CCC.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 57AC7012-CFBE-4981-B69F-CB0B9476F5AD.jpeg
    57AC7012-CFBE-4981-B69F-CB0B9476F5AD.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 11

CLK

Reaction score
I found the website the butter braid came from that we bought. They came frozen and we baked them at home. I would like to know how to make a similar filling that can be baked in the braid.
1664670572855.png

Reaction score
I have just made a (stovetop cooked, flour/ egg/ based) pastry cream and baked it, with fruit on top and without, and it has curdled both times.
I don't know how you managed that, its not the flour , you did something wrong.
My guess is you didn't chill the pastry cream, then beat it smooth before filling the tart shell.

Reaction score
I found the website the butter braid came from that we bought. They came frozen and we baked them at home. I would like to know how to make a similar filling that can be baked in the braid. View attachment 4646
Fake, thats not bavarian cream, its junk from a bucket, notice how they spelled cream. Its not even dairy.

They baked the dough, then injected the fake creme in the end like an eclair.
You can't bake bavarian cream, it will melt right back into liquid state because it contains zero starch.

You can use pastry cream and brioche dough.
try it like this.

Ask a Question