Recipes for Pre-Sliced Bread?

Reaction score
My family is huge, so a lot of people give us their extra bread. We get so much, in fact, that it isn't uncommon for half of it to get moldy before we can use it. Does anyone know of some recipes that use a lot of bread and every-day ingredients? I'm talking about sliced whole-wheat, white, dinner rolls, etc (nothing fancy). Thank you!

Reaction score
Day old bread can be used in a variety of ways. I learned a lot from my granny, because she was raised during the depression and they never threw anything away. There was a use for anything and everything, including day old or stale bread.

Here are some suggestions:

*Use as a filler for casseroles or meatloafs
*Bread puddings
*Cut into cubes and sprinkle some dried packaged dressing on them, bake them on low till they are dry, and you have croutons for salad, soup, or chili.
*Dry out slices of bread in the oven on low, so you have ready made toast. After it's been dried in the oven, and then completely cooled off after drying out, it can be stored in air tight containers. Its good for anytime you want a piece of toast, or want to make a sandwich with toasted bread.
*You can make cheese/garlic toast or just plain cheese toast.

Here is a link for some of the ideas....
http://www.wisebread.com/17-uses-for-stale-bread

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/apr/09/20-recipe-ideas-leftover-bread

http://www.saveur.com/article/-/What-to-do-with-Stale-Bread?image=2

==================================================

How to make "dried toast"....

Place sliced bread on a pizza rack or cookie rack. The bread needs to be on some kind of rack or pan with holes or slits in it, so the moisture in the bread doesn't condense on the bottom of the bread and make it wet while drying out.

You can use a flat cookie sheet if you don't have racks, but you have to be sure and turn the slices over and dry them out some more.

Once slices are placed on rack or sheet pan, place in oven. Oven needs to be on 150-200 degrees.
Bake for 15-20 minutes. This will dry out the bread without toasting it too much. It also allows for the moisture to be properly removed from all parts of the bread.....unlike in a toaster where the outside of the slice is toasted, but the inside is still moist (unless its burned).

If you need to turn toast over, then do so and bake for another 15-20 minutes.

Once this is done, remove bread from oven and place on racks, or "teepee" style against another piece of bread.....this allows the remaining moisture to escape without making the bread wet on one side.

Test the bread. Make sure it is dry all the way through. If not, then repeat process.

Another method is to preheat oven to 350 degrees for 5 minutes, place bread inside oven, and then turn oven OFF. Let bread stay in oven until its cooled off.

Once bread has been completely dried out, it can be stored for a long time in an air tight container. It can be used for toast, croutons, filler in casseroles or meatloaf, puddings, or fry coatings (kind of like Shake and Bake).

Reaction score
I always freeze bread, and just take slices out as and when I need it. Works great and keeps bread for ages!

Have you ever heard of bread & butter pudding? It's a popular dessert here in the UK and it's a great way to use up bread.

Reaction score
Day old bread can be used in a variety of ways. I learned a lot from my granny, because she was raised during the depression and they never threw anything away. There was a use for anything and everything, including day old or stale bread... etc
Thank you!

Reaction score
I always freeze bread, and just take slices out as and when I need it. Works great and keeps bread for ages!

Have you ever heard of bread & butter pudding? It's a popular dessert here in the UK and it's a great way to use up bread.

We do that as much as we can, but can't fit it all in our small freezer.
I've heard of bread pudding (though that might be the same thing).

Reaction score
French toast and mini-pizzas are a great use for bread, too. For the latter, I put reg. pizza toppings on several bread slices then bake them at 350*F until the cheese is melted.

Reaction score
My family is huge, so a lot of people give us their extra bread. We get so much, in fact, that it isn't uncommon for half of it to get moldy before we can use it. Does anyone know of some recipes that use a lot of bread and every-day ingredients? I'm talking about sliced whole-wheat, white, dinner rolls, etc (nothing fancy). Thank you!
Butter both sides and saute like grilled cheese. Sprinkle garlic or taco or ranch seasoning and cut into snack stick or croutons. Add pizza seasoning and use for brusscetta?! Cube and add to cassarole dishes or to veggies and top with cheese!

Ask a Question