Rock Cakes

Reaction score
I was looking for ideas the other day when someone mentioned old recipes and how they have dated and it got me thinking about my Grandmother's recipe book. In there I found a whole load of recipes and I thought I might upload a few. I'll add dates if I can find them. This one is probably from the 1950's going by the language and the picture of a kitchen and clothing. I can actually remember my Grannie making these or something similar though it does seem to me that Rock Cakes have gone out of fashion. They are meant to be lump and irregular, not smooth like scones.

Rock Cakes

Ingredients
1/2 lb self raising flour
1tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp mixed spice
3oz marg or lard
3oz sugar
3oz currants
1oz mixed peel
1 egg
1-3 tbsp. milk

Method
Sieve the flour with the salt, baking powder and mixed spice
Rub in the fat until you have a breadcrumb mixture
Stir in the sugar, currants and mixed peel
Beat the egg into the milk
Combine with the dry ingredients using only enough to create a dough that just about sticks together
Use 2 forks to space small rocky heaps onto a greased baking sheet
Cook in a hot oven (200C, 400F) for about 20 minutes until cooked

Reaction score
I would probably have much better luck with these than trying to make picture perfect scones. You just have ideas for everything, Connie!

Self raising/rising flour and baking powder? Do these fluff up a lot?

Reaction score
They do fluff up to a point but the surface resembles broken rock hence the name. They are a slightly drier scone mixture really if you look at the proportions. But I have known them as rock called all my life.

There is also no real need for the mixed peel, currants or mixed spice if you don't like any of the ingredients. You can easily replace these with something you like such as chocolate chips! :rolleyes:

I'll try to continue to do through my grandmother's recipe book but I have visitors today so another new recipe may not happen today! :(

Reaction score
These sound so good! I love scones (my daughter makes the best,,, all kinds of different additions in them). I will definitly be trying this recipe. I am always looking for something to indulge in with my morning cup of coffee. I do not bake as much as I did when my children were small and there to eat the results of my efforts so I am always looking for something relatively easy to make that does not leave me with way more goodies than I need to be eating and these will be perfect.

Reaction score
Rock cakes: my favourite little things. I am thinking to bake some this evening. I was thinking about some scones as well, but I have never made any. The first time I made the rock cakes I did something wrong but they still came out in the end. I've always loved them and now I can make themselves, it's a real treat. I doubt you can seriously mess up a rock cake. Here is the recipe I use which is quite similar to the one in the opening post.

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/32843/simple-rock-cakes.aspx

Reaction score
I love rock cakes, they used to be one of my fav baked goods when I was a child :) Thanks for sharing the recipe, it sounds so easy to make and doesn't call for a ton of ingredients, I love that :)

Reaction score
I baked some rock cakes two days ago and as far as I am concerned they are just fine but I seem to be the only person eating them. It left me concerned. Usually I make them and they are gone before you blink. I just don't know what happened this time around but I am enjoying them. Their lost.

Ask a Question