Room temp ingredients for Cheesecake

Reaction score
I cracked my eggs and set them out in a bowl so they would get room temperature for my cheesecake. I left the eggs, cream cheese, cream and sour cream out too. I left them at least four hours! Is this ok? I’m reading it’s not, but my home is very cold! It takes a good bit for them to get the temp that the cream cheese will bear smooth. I made several cheesecakes like this. Are they ok? I’ve read of people leaving ingredients overnight even.

Reaction score
I cracked my eggs and set them out in a bowl so they would get room temperature for my cheesecake. I left the eggs, cream cheese, cream and sour cream out too. I left them at least four hours! Is this ok? I’m reading it’s not, but my home is very cold! It takes a good bit for them to get the temp that the cream cheese will bear smooth. I made several cheesecakes like this. Are they ok? I’ve read of people leaving ingredients overnight even.

No I would not use it. Cheesecake only bakes to an internal temperature of 150°F (65°C).

In the future you should set a timer when ever you have anything out on the counter coming to temperature.

The Danger Zone is 4°C –60°C (40°F - 140°F) this is the temperature range in which microbes enjoy the best reproductive environment.

People are under the misguided belief that freezing and cooking sanitizes food.

Freezing does NOT kill microbes.

In fact freezing only slows the growth; When the food is brought back to temperatures that microbes like they will start reproducing at an alarming rate.

Hill kill microbes. And there are three heat treatments in food production: pasteurization, sterilization, and canning. You notice the oven is not listed as a heat treatment.

But regardless of the heat treatment you must understand that simply applying a heat treatment is not a guarantee that ALL the microbes have been killed.

Some bacterial spores can survive the boiling point of 100°C (212°F) so food production for sterilization requires heating to 130°C (266°F). Those temperatures far exceed the internal temperature of baked goods. Just because you set your oven temperature to 350°F, we don’t actually cook the food to that temperature.

Cheesecake only cooks to 150°F—that’s on the very low end of heating to kill microbes. Even in making meringues for buttercreams, the standard is heating 160°F. Personally I would not use the ingredients.

Ask a Question